This posting has expired and is no longer available.
Browse Similar Jobs: Construction/Trades
As a Driller III with Terracon you will perform subsurface exploration and soil sampling duties using auger drilling, mud rotary drilling, and diamond bit coring techniques. You will be in charge of two-person crews on projects requiring borings ranging to depths of 150 feet. Set piezometers and observation wells, provide input to the drilling department as to how to best perform drilling tasks. Work to improve efficiency of the drilling department on drilling or maintenance related tasks.
Reports to: Department Manager or Office Manager
Position Supervises: None
Essential Functions and Duties:
* Drives all company vehicles and operates all combination auger and mud rotary drill rigs. Prepares US Department of Transportation (DOT) paperwork as required.
* Performs required boring layout and elevations for projects. Meets with utility companies to verify that boring locations are clear of underground utilities.
* Performs routine drilling tasks defined as assigned by project engineers, department heads or office managers with drillers and drill crews. Such tasks include (but may not be limited to) auger drilling, mud rotary, diamond coring and air rotary drilling techniques.
* Loads appropriate drilling sampling and well installation tools and supplies onto trucks or drill rigs, using job register or job information sheets as guides for specific project requirements.
* Completes drilling tasks using appropriate methods for all borings, piezometers, or observation wells of specific diameter and depth utilizing various drilling techniques for holes to depths of approximately 150 feet.
* Prepares and reviews field boring logs using Unified Soil Classification System (USCS) and basic standard rock classifications and site description forms for projects as well as other necessary site documentation such as a listing of observation well supplies installed for each day.
* Performs drilling tasks on environmental projects utilizing assigned safety level gear for OSHA Level D, D modified, C and/or B projects. Responsible for the safety of the drill crew and for ensuring that the assigned safety gear is being utilized during the execution of the project.
* Performs maintenance tasks as necessary. May work independently and generally supervises other department staff on shop tasks, particularly in absence of department or office manager.
* Complete safety orientation program.
* Abide by safety and personal protective equipment policies.
* Demonstrate safe work practices and avoid unsafe behaviors.
* Drive defensively, avoid preventable accidents and always wear a seat belt.
* Attend regularly scheduled safety training.
* Report all unsafe conditions to your Supervisor.
* Will perform other duties as assigned.
* The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; or smell. The employee frequently is required to walk; sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
* Position requires demonstrated experience and abilities.
* Position requires a valid commercial driver’s license with a good driving record, and is subject to DOT drug testing requirements.
* Be willing and able to successfully participate in medical monitoring program.
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; extreme cold and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
* Overnight travel may be required with this position
* High school diploma and at least 6 years related on-site experience; or equivalent
* Valid commercial driver’s license.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.
In our efforts to maintain a safe and drug-free workplace, Terracon requires that candidates complete a satisfactory criminal background check and pass a drug screen prior to employment.
**No Recruiters/Agencies Please**
"Terracon" collectively refers to Terracon Consultants, Inc. and its related/affiliated companies (H.C. Nutting and TSVC, Inc.). We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, handicap, age, sex, or veteran status. If an offer is extended and accepted, the new employee must pass the following requirements: drug screen, driver evaluation criteria, and verification of licenses/certifications and educational degrees.
This company does not have more jobs