Arch Capital Group Ltd
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Software Development Manager - Agile Product Manager
at Arch Capital Group Ltd
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Information Technology
The Software Development Manager – APM provides leadership in aligning information systems development with business objectives for assigned business applications and/or technologies. The incumbent provides overall direction and guidance to engineering managers/leads, engineers/developers and contract labor teams. She/he drives software development across multiple teams and phases to ensure execution of project work plans. Determines department priorities and ensures software development objectives are met.
Essential RESPONSIBILITIES and ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Responsible for effective and timely development of new and/or enhanced systems/technologies.
- Monitors all aspects of the Software Development Lifecycle and Production Support service levels. Ensures high level technical support is provided.
- Works closely with customers, other IT managers, and management to identify and maximize opportunities to use technology to improve business processes.
- Prepares business cases, including financial analyses of potential new technologies/systems/applications. Evaluates based on company strategic needs and resource availability.
- Oversees business analysis, development work and quality assurance of projects for assigned systems/technologies.
- Collaborates effectively at all levels to prepare strategic plans. Ensures system requests tie into objectives of the company strategy map and budgets.
- Contributes to the development of information technology development standards, policies, processes and procedures to ensure consistent compatibility and integration throughout the company.
- Continuously reviews the technology needs of supported business functions/processes relative to new technological developments and trends. Keeps abreast of the industry and emerging technology
- Participates in vendor/strategic partner evaluations and monitors the relationship on an ongoing basis.
- Prepares/manages department budget: P&L forecasting, operational/capital expenditures, contract negotiations and invoice processing
- Leads and manages team to accomplish objectives through effective recruitment & selection, training & development, performance management and rewards & recognition.
- CODE - Write code across the full stack – front end Web UI, middle tier service layer, and back-end database within the insurance and/or financial services industry.
- Collaborate with team of full stack developers to design, develop, unit test, and support new features in a dynamic analytics and data driven development environment
- Develop scalable, fast, robust web-based scalable solutions Utilize agile software development best practices and work with team members to understand business needs and user stories
- Responsible for performance tuning, testing, refactoring, usability, and automation
- Support, maintain, and help document software functionality
- Maintain coding, compliance, & security standards
- Work with other departments, stakeholders, and customers on software development, improvements, internal tools, and implementation issues
- Maintenance and on-going support of past and future technical solutions Proactively learn product frameworks and code base
- Work to build a Continuous Integration environment and Continuous deployment environment.
- Perform code review
- Lead an Agile team of Developers, QA analysts, Business Systems analysts and Data Integrators.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Broad knowledge of software development techniques, processes, methods and best practices. Proficiency with various programming languages used.
- Knowledge of application test automation products, processes, and best practices
- Strong knowledge of P&C insurance products, applications, technologies.
- Strong understanding of Agile development methods and its application to company technology needs.
- High level knowledge/expertise in Legacy and Java development, implementation, and maintenance of large-scale business applications.
- Strong strategic decision making & long term planning abilities to manage resources and develop efficient and effective solutions to diverse and complex business problems.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively lead and motivate team.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation & consultative skills for effective collaboration with senior management.
- Good general business acumen
- Experienced in scalable, high-availability back end technologies Oracle, SQL Server and PostgreSQL
- Experience with non-relational database technologies preferred such as Memcached, MongoDB, Redis
- Front end development experience including ReactJS, Webpack, HTML5, CSS, Bootstrap, jQuery, Accessibility and Responsive Layouts UI/UX development experience.
- Experience with Insurance / Reinsurance Systems and Data
- Strong understanding of server-side software, scalability, performance, and reliability Skills
- Strong understanding of the OSI model, Networking, OS Layer and Services
- Understanding of continuous delivery tools like Chef, Puppet, Salt
- Understanding of continuous integration and deployment tools like Octopus deploy, Jenkins
- Some experience with Docker, Docker Swarm, Kubernetes, OpenStack, Swift, is a nice to have even if it is lab experience.
- Excellent communication skills:
- Ability clearly speak and understand the English language.
- Excellent command of the English language, i.e.
- Ability to write and understand the written documents, email and other forms of electronic communications.Ability to discuss, articulate and simplify technology to non-technical people
Education & Experience:
Required knowledge & skills would typically be acquired through a Bachelor’s degree and 10 years of related experience in software development & architecture design, including project management and business analysis. Significant management experience would typically be required.
- Prior experience in financial services, specifically insurance. Familiarity with a broad lines of business included but not limited to Property, General Liability, Workers Comp, Auto, etc.
- Experience with policy admin and claims admins systems as well as underwriting workstations used to track premium and claims details and corresponding deductible offsets of the claims.
- Understanding of insurance programs cover high deductibles, self-insured retentions and captive arrangements is an advantage.
Working Conditions/Environment & Physical Demands:
Normal office environmentDisclaimer
Incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.