Arch Capital Group Ltd
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
VP, Software Development -Domain Owner
at Arch Capital Group Ltd
- Job ID
- Business Segment
- # of Openings
- Information Technology
The VP, Software Development - Domain Owner has end-to-end view and ownership of the products within their domain, primarily responsible for product increments development, delivery and support. The incumbent provides overall direction and guidance to software engineering managers, Database specialists, engineers/developers, quality assurance engineers and business systems analysts. She/he drives software development across multiple teams and phases to ensure execution of project work plans. Determines department priorities and ensures software development & data management objectives are met.
Essential RESPONSIBILITIES and ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Responsible for effective and timely development of new and/or enhanced systems/technologies.
- Monitors all aspects of the Software Development Lifecycle and Production Support service levels. Ensures high level technical support is provided.
- Works closely with customers, other IT managers, and management to identify and maximize opportunities to use technology to improve business processes.
- Prepares business cases, including financial analyses of potential new technologies/systems/applications. Evaluates based on company strategic needs and resource availability.
- Oversees business analysis, development work and quality assurance of projects for assigned systems/technologies.
- Collaborates effectively at all levels to prepare strategic plans. Ensures system requests tie into objectives of the company strategy map and budgets.
- Contributes to the development of information technology development standards, policies, processes and procedures to ensure consistent compatibility and integration throughout the company.
- Continuously reviews the technology needs of supported business functions/processes relative to new technological developments and trends. Keeps abreast of the industry and emerging technology
- Participates in vendor/strategic partner evaluations and monitors the relationship on an ongoing basis.
- Prepares/manages department budget: P&L forecasting, operational/capital expenditures, contract negotiations and invoice processing
- Leads and manages team to accomplish objectives through effective recruitment & selection, training & development, performance management and rewards & recognition.
Ensures the Agile Product Manager and respective teams are highly proficient in the following areas:
- CODE - Write code across the full stack – front end Web UI, middle tier service layer, and back-end database within the insurance and/or financial services industry.
- Collaborate with team of full stack developers to design, develop, unit test, and support new features in a dynamic analytics and data driven development environment
- Develop scalable, fast, robust web-based scalable solutions Utilize agile software development best practices and work with team members to understand business needs and user stories
- Responsible for performance tuning, testing, refactoring, usability, and automation
- Support, maintain, and help document software functionality
- Maintain coding, compliance, & security standards
- Work with other departments, stakeholders, and customers on software development, improvements, internal tools, and implementation issues
- Maintenance and on-going support of past and future technical solutions Proactively learn product frameworks and code base
- Work to build a Continuous Integration environment and Continuous deployment environment.
- Perform code review
- Lead an Agile team of Developers, QA analysts, Business Systems analysts and Data Integrators.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Broad knowledge of software development techniques, processes, methods and best practices. Proficiency with various programming languages used.
- Knowledge of application test automation products, processes, and best practices
- Thorough knowledge of all assigned Systems, applications, technologies.
- Proven experience and strong understanding of Agile development and conventional method and its application to company technology needs.
- High level knowledge/expertise in databases development, implementation, and maintenance of large-scale business applications.
- Strong strategic decision making & long term planning abilities to manage resources and develop efficient and effective solutions to diverse and complex business problems.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively lead and motivate team.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation & consultative skills for effective collaboration with senior management.
- Good general business acumen.
- Experienced in scalable, high-availability back end technologies Oracle, SQL Server and PostgreSQL
- Experience with non-relational database technologies preferred such as Memcached, MongoDB, Redis
- Front end development experience including ReactJS, Webpack, HTML5, CSS, Bootstrap, jQuery, Accessibility and Responsive Layouts UI/UX development experience.
- Experience with Insurance / Reinsurance Systems and Data
- Strong understanding of server-side software, scalability, performance, and reliability Skills
- Strong understanding of the OSI model, Networking, OS Layer and Services
- Understanding of continuous delivery tools like Chef, Puppet, Salt
- Understanding of continuous integration and deployment tools like Octopus deploy, Jenkins
- Some experience with Docker, Docker Swarm, Kubernetes, OpenStack, Swift, is a nice to have even if it is lab experience.
- Excellent communication skills:
- Ability clearly speak and understand the English language.
- Excellent command of the English language, i.e. Ability to write and understand the written documents, email and other forms of electronic communications.
- Ability to discuss, articulate and simplify technology to non-technical people.
Education & Experience:
- Required knowledge & skills would typically be acquired through a Bachelor’s degree and 10 to 15 years of related experience in software development & architecture design, including project management and business analysis. Significant management experience would typically be required.
- Prior experience in financial services, specifically insurance. Familiarity with a broad lines of business included but not limited to Property, General Liability, Workers Comp, Auto, etc.
- Experience with policy admin and claims admins systems as well as underwriting workstations used to track premium and claims details and corresponding deductible offsets of the claims.
- Understanding of insurance programs cover high deductibles, self-insured retentions and captive arrangements is an advantage.
Arch Insurance Group is a market-leading specialty insurer providing property, casualty and a wide range of specialty insurance for corporations, professional firms and financial institutions around the globe. From product development to policy servicing to claims payment, we are dedicated to providing our customers with superb coverage and service.
A subsidiary of Arch Capital Group Ltd., Arch Insurance employs disciplined underwriting and prudent risk selection across all types of business. We have offices in the United States, Canada, Bermuda, UK, Australia, and South Africa.
Arch Capital Group Ltd. is a Bermuda-based company which provides insurance, reinsurance and mortgage insurance on a worldwide basis through its wholly owned subsidiaries. Arch offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package. Additionally, Arch is committed to helping its associates create what’s next by providing access to a variety of programs supporting your professional development and a culture that encourages innovation, collaboration and professional growth. We seek talent that thinks innovatively, values collaboration and will go the extra mile to serve our customers and develop our company.