Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Water Resources/ Drainage Engineer
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Raleigh, NC or Charlotte, NC Water Resource Group as a Senior Water Resources/Drainage Engineer.
A strong candidate for this role must be competent in performing water resources engineering work and demonstrate a broad knowledge of hydrologic/hydraulic analysis and design methods. The candidate must have DOT roadway drainage design experience and must be proficient in Microstation, Geopak drainage, highway drainage design, and floodplain analysis. GIS experience associated with water resources and 2-D modeling experience is also preferable. A strong candidate will be able to independently make sound preliminary engineering decisions, develop water resource design plans, write design specifications, and plan technical reports
- Performs hydrologic/hydraulic modeling for floodplain mapping.
- Performs project design, sketching design concepts to be developed by junior engineers, CAD designers or technicians.
- Plans and reviews the production of engineering drawings and specifications.
- Plans and reviews the production of engineering investigations or planning work.
- Develops and evaluates plans and criteria for new projects, weighing alternatives and selecting the most cost-effective solution.
- Analyzes technical problems, assessing the feasibility of proposed techniques and procedures, and devising new approaches and alternative solutions.
- Analyzes project dimension and scope, and prepares or oversees the preparation of cost and manpower estimates, schedules and job budgets.
- Coordinates work with project manager, and guides junior professionals and technical personnel on the design and drafting of preliminary and final plans.
- Is responsible for quality control, maintaining quality standards in all work produced, and checking computations or reviewing designs and drawings performed by others.
- May occasionally manage projects.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or M.S. in Civil Engineering (preferably with a focus in Water Resources). M.S. or graduate level technical coursework preferred. This level may be achieved by Engineers with seven years of experience since B.S. or 6 years since M.S. Typical incumbent has ten to fourteen years of experience.
- P.E. license is required.
- DOT hydraulics experience required, NCDOT experience preferred.
- Good technical writing, computer, communication and organization/planning skills are required.
- Experience and familiarity with the following programs and methodology is required: Microstation, Geopak drainage, HEC-RAS, SCS methodology, and the Rational Formula.
- Experience with the following programs is preferred but not necessary: GIS, HEC-HMS, AutoCAD, SWMM products, FlowMaster, and 2D modeling software.
General Competencies expected of all Professionals and Managers are as follows: Client Service, Commitment, Communication, Innovation & Continuous Improvement, Professionalism, Quality, and Teamwork.
Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary. Job also requires ability to plan, prioritize and review project plans and documents, evaluate alternatives, and devise appropriate solutions.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.