AW North Carolina (AWNC)
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Electrical and Controls Engineer
at AW North Carolina (AWNC)
- 28-Aug-2019 to 27-Oct-2019 (EST)
- Durham, NC, USA
- Full Time
At AW North Carolina (AWNC), the phrase "Quality People, Quality Products" isn't just a slogan. Our commitment to quality extends not only to our products, but also to our team members, the community and the environment.
AWNC is a $1.1billion Tier 1 automotive manufacturer of automatic transmissions and components for Toyota Motor Company. AWNC's corporate office and primary manufacturing facility (1 million sq. ft.) is located in Durham, NC, and home to more than 2000 Team Members dedicated to quality supremacy. At AWNC, we are proud of what we do because we are proud of our products, our team members, our customers, and our community.
The Electrical and Controls Engineer will be responsible for programming new equipment and designing modifications to existing equipment - Improving reliability and addressing any quality concerns. He/She will develop all needed documentation such as wiring drawings, BOM's, and machine manuals to support modifications.
- Lead upgrades on existing equipment to improve process reliability and mitigate costs.
- Data collection, analysis, and documentation.
- Perform Engineering Design Calculations.
- Design and build electrical panels from scratch per NFPA 79/70/UL508A codes
- Coordinate electrical requirements of selected equipment.
- Work with representatives from Operations, Maintenance/Facilities and Quality Engineering to support, design, develop, and implement improvements to equipment and equipment controls.
- Introduce new sensors/controls and/or modify/add PLC programs to improve the functionality of existing equipment.
- Prepare engineering systems design reports, construction plans, specifications, calculations, equipment selection, and cost estimates for various projects.
- Introduce new mechanical systems to improve functionality of existing equipment.
- Work with outside vendors on equipment improvement projects and supervise the installation, startup, testing, and debugging of new or modified manufacturing equipment and controls.
- Develop technical specifications for automated manufacturing equipment.
- Collaborate with Quality Engineering to establish and execute equipment acceptance and validation protocols.
- Document and archive all engineering changes such as PLC programs and electrical schematics.
- Perform hands-on troubleshooting and process improvements in manufacturing operations.
- Provide technical support for automated mechanical systems, electrical controls, and robots.
- Bachelors degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering and 1-3 years of work experience in an Engineering role or equivalent experience.
- Experience working in an Engineering role in a high volume manufacturer.
- Proficient in AutoCad Electrical with the ability to create detailed electrical schematics.
- Ability to wire control panels with components such as motor starters, PLCs, control relays, terminals, sensors, etc. Label all wiring to print. Test each to ensure proper wiring. Install enclosures onto main systems and wire to all external devices per NFPA 79/70/UL508A and company specific requirements.
- Must be very detail oriented to ensure proper wiring and code compliance, while also being able to get work done on time to conform to production schedules.
- Familiar with NFPA 70E safe electrical work practices (such as Lockout/Tagout, etc).
- Ability to write PCL & GOT/HMI programs from scratch
- Experience working with electrical distribution and control systems up to 480 VAC, 3PH.
- Able to efficiently troubleshoot, repair, and modify PLC based control systems.
- Experience troubleshooting pneumatic valves, actuators (pneumatic and electric), sensors (thermocouples, pressure transducers, etc), electric motors, and other typical automation components
- Experience in ladder logic & GOT programming and wiring Mitsubishi and/or Fanuc based PLC controls.
Team Member Benefits
AWNC offers a highly competitive benefit package that includes: Major Medical Insurance Options, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Short/Long Term Disability, Flexible Spending Plan, Matching 401k Plan, Paid Holidays/Vacation.