Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Actuarial Analyst III
at Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
Applies knowledge of mathematics, probability, statistics, and principles of business in order to provide assistance and technical support for more extensive rating/pricing, valuation, healthcare economics, and/or financial forecasting. Works under minimal supervision with a team of actuaries to assure a coordinated approach to the actuarial components of health programs. Provides actuarial support to Network Management, Underwriting, Sales and Marketing, Finance, and/or Healthcare.
- Performs qualitative and quantitative analysis of data to support development of rating plans and pricing for programs and products.
- Evaluates moderately complex trend analysis.
- Supports the rating process by determining the need for and building actuarial model enhancements. Determines reasons for changes in calculated factors and communicates changes to internal stakeholders.
- Reviews and observe appropriateness of actuarial formulae.
- Transmits rate filings to regulatory agencies (NCDOI, CMS)
- Supports valuation by modifying and executing the ALR model. Performs ALR assumption studies and calculates impact on calculated reserves. Supports development of UCL estimates.
- Assists in the preparation of Annual Actuarial Memorandum, Premium Deficiency Reserve Study, and quarterly and annual statutory results.
- Distributes established reports and responds to inquiries. Investigates trends and anomalies.
- Supports resolution of control exceptions and maintains control documentation.
- Participates in requirements gathering for and serves as delegate or backup for corporate projects. Generates ideas and analytical approaches for Departmental projects.
- Plans, implements, manages and/or contributes to projects that are moderate/high complexity.
- Is a participant in good standing in the Actuarial Development Program
- Bachelor’s degree
- Must have at least three years of relevant actuarial experience and have completed at least 5 exams towards the eventual attainment of the ASA designation.
- The incumbent is in the actuarial student program and is committed to completing the Society of Actuaries education system courses necessary to attain the FSA designation.
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills
- Project management skills.
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Visual Basic
- Experience with data retrieval applications (i.e. SQL, SAS)
It's an exciting time to work at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina. Health care is changing, and we're leading the way. We offer more than health insurance our customers can count on. We’re committed to better health and better health care − in our communities and beyond. Our employees bring energy and creativity to the workplace, and it shows in our innovative approach to improving the health and well-being of North Carolinians.
Our company is a not-for-profit with headquarters in Durham and major operations in Winston-Salem and Fayetteville. In all we employ more than 4,900 North Carolinians and serve more than 3.9 million customers.
Help us lead the charge for better health care by joining our award-winning team. Discover tremendous opportunities with us to do challenging and rewarding work. Opportunities that can lead you to a fulfilling career, work that can help others lead healthier, happier lives.