Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director, Financial Accounting and Reporting
at Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
This position is responsible for the consolidated Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina's financial accounting and reporting functions, including accounting and reporting for the insurance company and its subsidiaries. In this capacity, the incumbent oversees the preparation of financial reports, establishes and maintains the organization’s accounting practices, and leads the overall relationships with the NC DOI Financial Analysis and Evaluation Division. This position regularly participates as a liaison/participant in national committees/technical groups on discussing financial accounting and reporting topics and may act as leader/participant in identifying process and control weaknesses and implementing solutions in compliance with Sarbanes Oxley comparable regulations.
- Establishes and maintains the organization's accounting principles, practices, procedures, and initiatives (both GAAP and statutory). Ensures that the company stays current with all emerging pronouncements.
- Oversees the preparation of financial reports and presents findings and recommendations to management, including the BCBSNC Audit Committee, our Senior Leadership (the Executive Leadership Team), our Business Segment Leaders, and our regulators (the NC DOI and the BCBSA) and addresses multiple other financial issues and requests from within the company.
- Responsible for the accuracy and integrity of financial reporting to internal and external customers.
- Defines and develops short-term and long-range strategy for the financial accounting and reporting group and BCBSNC's relationship with the NC DOI Financial Analysis and Evaluation Division.
- Leads the overall relationships with the NC DOI Financial Analysis and Evaluation Division, the BCBSA financial analysis department, our external auditors and our credit agencies.
- Responsible for completing special projects as directed by the Chief Financial Officer or the Vice President, Chief Accounting Officer & Treasurer.
- Ensures that the necessary caliber and quantity of people are available and properly motivated to achieve the objectives of the financial accounting and reporting organization. Provides leadership, coaching, and knowledge transfer to the team.
- Primary BCBSNC liaison for audits and examinations of the company’s financial records.
- Bachelor degree in Accounting or Finance field
- 10 years of finance experience.
- In-depth knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- 5 years leadership experience.
- CPA required
- Master’s Degree
- Knowledge of Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) rules and regulations and statutory accounting rules preferred.
- Public accounting experience preferred, preferably with a Big Four accounting firm.
- Experience in operational financial workflows preferred.
- Strong research (both through the internet and reading of written materials), analytical, verbal/written communications, and PC skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and business acumen are needed to address financial business issues and obtain information and results from individuals both within and outside of the Financial Services area.
It's an exciting time to work at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina. Health care is changing, and we're leading the way. We offer more than health insurance our customers can count on. We’re committed to better health and better health care - in our communities and beyond. Our employees bring energy and creativity to the workplace, and it shows in our innovative approach to improving the health and well-being of North Carolinians.
Our company is a not-for-profit with headquarters in Durham and major operations in Winston-Salem and Fayetteville. In all we employ more than 4,900 North Carolinians and serve more than 3.9 million customers.
Help us lead the charge for better health care by joining our award-winning team. Discover tremendous opportunities with us to do challenging and rewarding work. Opportunities that can lead you to a fulfilling career, work that can help others lead healthier, happier lives.
Third Party Staffing Agencies
Blue Cross NC does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. For the protection of all parties involved in the recruiting process, resumes will only be accepted from recruiters/agencies if a signed agreement is in place at the inception of the recruiting effort and authorized for a specific position. Unsolicited resumes sent to Blue Cross NC from recruiters/agencies do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter/agency and Blue Cross NC and do not obligate Blue Cross NC to pay fees if we hire from those resumes.