Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Health Policy Office - Strategic Policy Consultant
at Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
Supports the development and articulation of internal policy positions, monitors the development of external policy and regulation, communicates and supports the communication of BCBSNC’s positions via appropriate channels, and supports the evaluation of strategic impacts of policy proposals and actions at the federal and state levels.
As we continue to see complex regulatory and policy proposals impacting the health care industry Blue Cross NC is looking to hire a strategic policy consultant to join the Health Policy Office. In this position the strategic policy consultant will support the Health Policy Office’s development of internal policy positions, monitor development of external policy and regulation, communicate support of positions via appropriate channels and support evaluation of strategic impacts of policy proposals and actions.
• Support or co-lead the identification, evaluation and completion of enterprise health policy and positions that feed the work agenda of other areas such as, but not limited to, Strategic Development, Corporate Communications, Sales and Marketing, Actuarial, Compliance, Legal and Government Affairs.
• Serve as policy expert for assigned health policy areas of interest. Responsible for monitoring issues (politically, policy development, regulatory development, media issues), analyzing implications, facilitating internal and external feedback, driving position development, and serving as subject matter expert and consultant to business, government affairs, corporate communications, and compliance.
• Lead the development of communications to company on health policy-directed communications; serve as content expert in support of corporate communications, Government Affairs, and Marketing and other areas communications.
• Responsible for development of commentary submissions and overall feedback representing BCBSNC perspective for issues of potential regulatory influence via trade associations,
• Support the development of new collaborative opportunities that maximize enterprise sustainability for the long term within the context of our environment.
• Support the development across senior level management stakeholders to develop and refine the company’s positions, policies, and impact analysis.
• Lead the consolidation of research, authorship of key findings, and communication of timely, periodic strategic reports to senior management.
• Support or co-lead multiple projects and/or collaborative work efforts, developing analysis, proposals, business cases, refining positions and recommendations for action, in order to contribute to BCBSNC’s policy influencing activities within the state,
• Provide strategic and external stakeholder intelligence on policy issues of key interest. Works directly with senior leadership to share information and develop positions.
• Contribute to the development of area-specific health policy agenda linked to the corporate vision, mission and strategy. Serve as a principal resource for educating all management levels of the company on health policy issues and implications to our business.
• Monitor and participate in external collaborative health policy efforts in order to support the shaping of state and federal health policy efforts.
• Represent the company on BCSA, AHIP and other industry committees and work groups.
• Bachelor’s degree
• 5 years of experience in policy analysis, strategic development, business development, market or product development, or general corporate affairs.
• Experience in the healthcare industry, preferably within health insurance industry
• Experience in analysis of a company’s needs and development of strategies/policies
• Research skills and experience
• MBA, MPH, or other relevant graduate degree preferred.
• Experience preferably in a corporate, health care, or professional setting
• Prior experience leading /facilitating diverse cross-functional teams
• Demonstrated experience working directly with senior leadership
• Strong experience conducting research; managing multiple priorities; analyzing and implementing complex business issues; serving as a liaison to business executives, internal and external, and other outside advisors
• Solid understanding of BCBSNC business, systems, and organization (may be specific to finance, health care, network, Sales and marketing, IS, and/or operations based on determined need of team)
• Ability to work directly and independently with staff across the company
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to meet time deadlines, manage extensive amounts of complex information, connect and interrelate disparate ideas and thoughts, pay attention to detail, and work effectively with varying constituencies
• Strong understanding of logic and causal relationships
• Excellent initiative and interpersonal skills
• Strong interpretation and translation skills – ability to understand technical / expert jargon and business needs and help bridge communication gaps
It's an exciting time to work at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina. Health care is changing, and we're leading the way. We offer more than health insurance our customers can count on. We’re committed to better health and better health care − in our communities and beyond. Our employees bring energy and creativity to the workplace, and it shows in our innovative approach to improving the health and well-being of North Carolinians.
Our company is a not-for-profit with headquarters in Durham and major operations in Winston-Salem and Fayetteville. In all we employ more than 4,900 North Carolinians and serve more than 3.9 million customers.
Help us lead the charge for better health care by joining our award-winning team. Discover tremendous opportunities with us to do challenging and rewarding work. Opportunities that can lead you to a fulfilling career, work that can help others lead healthier, happier lives.
Third Party Staffing Agencies
Blue Cross NC does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. For the protection of all parties involved in the recruiting process, resumes will only be accepted from recruiters/agencies if a signed agreement is in place at the inception of the recruiting effort and authorized for a specific position. Unsolicited resumes sent to Blue Cross NC from recruiters/agencies do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter/agency and Blue Cross NC and do not obligate Blue Cross NC to pay fees if we hire from those resumes.