Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Cengage Learning
- Requisition ID
- Job Function
- Software Development
Do you dare to reinvent the future of education?
At Cengage, we are harnessing the power of tech to build a future where all learners have the tools and confidence to achieve their goals.
As a Cengage employee you will pioneer transforming the way people learn. Collaborating with the best of the best, you will feel challenged and inspired to do breakthrough work. With the support of our united team, there is no limit to what you can imagine, create and set in motion.
Are we right for you?
We set the bar higher by bringing our unique talents and point of view to the table every day. We are curious and comfortable with change and are willing to take risks to transform education. Most importantly, with everything we do, we put learning first.
As an Application Architect you will are responsible for crafting technical designs and architecture for Cengage Learning’s edTech products, determining solutions for an implementation team throughout the development cycle. You will work in a highly reciprocal, multi-functional agile team and will own the architectural decisions and technical debt on various software components. You will also participate in development and implementation of the product solutions and be responsible for code reviews and ensuring technical quality deliverable.
What You'll Do Here:
- Collaborate with Product Owners to understand requirements for architecture
- Work with full-stack team to define and implement logical and physical architecture
- Record the architecture (both up-front design and post-release as-built)
- Collaborate with multi-functional roles to communicate and align development efforts with Architecture Roadmap
- Provide development and implementation for architecture design concepts (50/50 architect/developer)
- Define domain boundaries, API functionality, and data structure to promote clean separation of responsibility in SOA / microservices environment
- Help identify coding patterns and anti-patterns
- Carry out implementation of the patterns through code reviews
- Perform root cause analysis, technology evaluation, and design spikes to define architecture supporting high-quality resilient software
- Help break down, estimate, and provide just-in-time design for small increments of work
- Promote improvements in DevOps, including version control, continuous integration, project build and test automation, to maximize developer efficiency
Skills You Will Need Here:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent combination of education and recent, meaningful work experience
- 7 plus years experience with Java (Spring or OSGi)
- Minimum 3 years of experience with Cassandra (or other columnar store)
- Production experience with AWS (or another cloud provider)
- Experience with IAM, AppSec, OAuth
- Knowledge of and desire to work in an Agile development environment
- Strong familiarity with object-oriented systems and enterprise design patterns
- Experience with development of service oriented and micro-service applications
- Ability to define logical and physical architecture and document the architecture using UML diagrams
- Experience driving improvements in version control, continuous integration, project build, and project automation
- Ability to produce clean, quality code, working closely with other Agile team members
- Leadership to take ownership of tasks when others do not, driving the completion of all kinds of work tasks