City of Durham, NC
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Engineering Project Manager (Water/Wastewater)
at City of Durham, NC
- Position Description
More than 300 talented, dedicated employees in the City of Durham's Water Management Department work to keep safe drinking water flowing throughout the City and manage wastewater effectively. We lead long-term water and wastewater planning and infrastructure development, regularly treat and test systems for environmental compliance, and engage the public in water conservation to ensure all of our customers have clean, safe water every time they turn on the tap. If you share our passion for managing vital water resources, bring your skills and talent to Durham!
Hiring Range: $64,647.00 – $84,042.00
The City of Durham's Department of Water Management is seeking water/wastewater engineers for their Utility Engineering Division. The City offers 37.5-hour work weeks, generous benefits, and a work-life balance that can be rarely matched by the private sector for water/wastewater engineers. From a technical standpoint, you will be challenged. With a water and sewer service area population of over 270,000, DWM owns and operates two surface water treatment plants; two 5-stage, modified-Bardenpho water reclamation facilities; and distribution/collection systems facing expansion, capacity upgrades and rehabilitation. Another benefit for working with the City is that all your projects are within 30 minutes of the office.
Projects involve infrastructure rehabilitation, expansion, and upgrades and heavy interaction with engineering and maintenance personnel within the department. Responsibilities of this position include reviewing the effects of proposed development on existing water and sewer infrastructure, evaluating the needs of existing infrastructure, as well as managing water and wastewater projects being performed by engineering consultants. This position will also coordinate with the City's Planning and Public Works departments, other Water Management divisions, the development community, residents, and sometimes Federal, State, and local agencies.
- Responsible for the preparation of professional civil engineering work performed in the planning, surveying, design, review, contracting, inspection, field supervision, and maintenance of multiple types of municipal engineering projects and systems. Develops entry level management skill sets.
- Oversees data analysis by obtaining electronic data; reviewing raw data for accuracy; analyzing data for trends; and developing written reports.
- Attends meetings on all types of engineering systems and interacts with internal and external customers to provide assistance as needed.
- Provides technical and administrative support to supervising professional engineer; responding to and investigating questions or concerns; and typing and sending technical correspondence.
- Completes special projects by preparing presentations; participating in seminars; and updating standards & procedures.
- Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Civil, Environmental, or Mechanical Engineering
- Four or more years of engineering experience
- Professional Engineer (PE) Registration or must obtain North Carolina registration in six (6) months.
- Valid North Carolina Class "C" Driver's License, or must obtain within sixty (60) days of hire.
- Additional Preferred Skills
- At least seven years of engineering experience with water and/or wastewater projects
- Experience with basin planning and projections of water and sewer demands
- Experience with hydraulic modeling for water and/or sewer projects
- Contract administration for water/wastewater projects
- Understanding of principles, practices, modern methods, and techniques used in design and operation of distribution and collection systems
- Knowledge of applicable laws and regulatory codes relevant to design, permitting, and operation of distribution and collection systems
- The ability to communicate effectively both in writing and orally
- Experience with being an effective part of a team