City of Durham, NC
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Executive Assistant (Administrative Specialist)
at City of Durham, NC
- Position Description
Work, Serve, Thrive. With the City of Durham
Advance in your career while making a real difference in the community you serve.
The Community Development Department promotes thriving, livable neighborhoods in Durham. We work with lenders, developers, builders, community organizations and residents to enhance the quality and availability of affordable housing. We empower low-income and first-time home buyers to secure and remain in housing. Our talented, creative and committed staff make this happen. If you share our commitment to quality affordable housing, collaborative work and serving our community, join our team!
Hiring Range: $42,373.50 - $51,558.00
The Administrative Specialist for the Community Development Department performs a broad range of paraprofessional work ranging from routine to specialized office/customer service support such as processing complex transactions; handling escalated customer service requests; coordinating and maintaining office processes and office information; and performing quality assurance on transactions and/or work product. The Administrative Specialist is responsible for overseeing and providing administrative office coordination (such as processing travel requests, payroll, timekeeping, and human resources transactions); records management; routine or specialized administrative support to senior staff; and logistical support for programs and/or projects. The Administrative Specialist will serve as the Executive Assistant to the Department Director and the Lead Administrative Support Personnel. The position will report to the Assistant Director of Fiscal and Planning Administration.
- Serves as a department representative in establishing and maintaining critical and sensitive communication with public and private agencies and other officials; and transmits and interprets decisions and views.
- Commits Department Director's time by scheduling and arranging appointments based on intimate knowledge of priorities and objectives; informs Director of pending appointments and meetings.
- Prepares and produces documents, reports and/or presentations from verbal information and/or written drafts; assists with the preparation of manuals, polices, procedures, confidential correspondence and public information materials including information for city council agenda items; provides general administrative support to staff and/or projects.
- Coordinates staff meetings, meeting requests, events calendaring, special event scheduling and/or logistical support for events or facility rentals/scheduling; provides calendaring coordination and support for executive staff, as assigned.
- Performs a variety of independent research, correspondence, and report preparation; compiles data for agendas, administrative, financial, and reports.
- Performs administrative duties for a committee/board to include recording and transcribing minutes of board/committee meetings or other meetings as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Serves as the Lead Administrative Support Personnel coordinating, assigning, and monitoring work assignments.
- Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- Associate's degree in business or related field; and
- Two years of advanced administrative support experience
- Additional Preferred Skills
- Valid NC Class "C" Driver's license
- Three years of supervisory experience or has served in a Team Leader role.
- Five years of advanced administrative support experience working with a local, state, or federal agency.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office Suite
- Excellent computer skills, including competency in use of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent customer service skills and demonstrates ability to work in diverse communities with a variety of community residents.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Must be able to write clear, concise plans and reports and make excellent public presentations.
- Strong organization skills.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks, strict deadlines, and successfully meet department goals.
- North Carolina Notary Public