City of Durham, NC
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Field Supervisor - Meter Services
at City of Durham, NC
- Position Description
Work. Serve. Thrive. With the City of Durham
Advance in your career while making a real difference in the community you serve.
Hiring Range: $53,768 - $58,157
Hours: 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM
More than 300 talented, dedicated employees in the City of Durham's Water Management Department work to keep safe drinking water flowing throughout the City and manage wastewater effectively. We lead long-term water and wastewater planning and infrastructure development, regularly treat and test systems for environmental compliance, and engage the public in water conservation to ensure all of our customers have clean, safe water every time they turn on the tap. If you share our passion for managing vital water resources, bring your skills and talent to Durham!
This role has oversight for staff that provides maintenance for automated meter reading servicing residential homes and some of the City's largest institutional commercial customers. In this role, you will have oversight for meter testing ensuring crew safety while testing. Maintenance repairs for water leaks and register replacements, service turn-on/turn-off, and other meter maintenance requirements. This unit partners with Customer Billing Services (CBS in order for us to properly bill our customers and works with them to resolve issues.
Work is often performed during inclement weather and is subject to rotational stand-by/recall and other overtime when needed. The successful candidate will have industry knowledge & abilities to effectively manage several crews over a large area. Because our supervisory staff participates in after-hours stand-by/recall duty, numerous certifications are preferred in order to cover the various business lines.
- Coordinates field unit operations related to collection and/or distribution system maintenance and contract work; supervises staff including planning, assigning, and evaluating work; convenes and facilitates staff meetings; trains and coaches employees; directs crew operations at work locations; ensures that equipment is maintained; and ensures compliance with safety and applicable operational rules and regulations.
- Performs the most complex and difficult work assignments; troubleshoots the most complex and escalated issues; and schedules repairs by outside vendors.
- Coordinates the preparation of and/or prepares, reviews, and/or maintains reports, records, work orders, logs, and documents; updates and maintains databases and online systems; reviews work prepared by staff; identifies and resolves discrepancies; and ensures work is accurate, complete and in compliance with applicable regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Monitors supply inventory and equipment levels; determines materials needed; researches price and vendor information; makes and/or approves procurement recommendations.
- Coordinates with vendors, contractors, City departments, and/or external agencies to order supplies; provides technical assistance; assists with planning departmental operations; assists with implementing projects; and responds to and handles escalated and the most complex customer service issues.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- HS Diploma or GED equivalent
- Minimum 6 yrs. industry experience including past supervision
- Valid Class C Driver's License; (A-CDL within 6 months of hire)
- AWWA Meter Technician certification
- Grades B or A Water Distribution
- NC Grades III Wastewater Collections Certification (Grade IV within 1 year of hire)
- Additional Preferred Skills
- Experience with asset management software systems; City Works a plus
- OSHA Trenching/Shoring and Competent Person Certification
- NASSCO MACP/PACP
- Cross-Connection Control Backflow Preventer certification, required within 1 year of hire