City of Durham, NC
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Fleet Maintenance Specialist, Senior/ Non-Exempt
at City of Durham, NC
- Position Description
Work. Serve. Thrive. With the City of Durham.
Advance in your career while making a real difference in the community your serve.
Hiring Salary Range: $48,921.60 - $55,016.00
Work Days/Hours: Monday - Friday
6:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. - 11:30 p.m.
Nationally recognized for our innovative fleet management practices, it's our Fleet Management Department employees who make the difference. We are looking for exceptional individuals to join our winning team. If innovation and sustainability are important to you, bring your skills and talents to Durham!
To provide repair and maintenance of equipment, vehicles and related systems. Incumbents provide advanced specialized and skilled labor diagnosing, repairing and maintaining construction equipment, light and heavy trucks, fire apparatus and other miscellaneous equipment including performing mechanical repairs, diesel repairs and hydraulic repairs; dismantling, overhauling, repairing and reassembling engines; rebuilding/replacing transmissions; rebuilding drive trains, carburetors, differentials, pumps and gear boxes; welding metal components; fabricating unique parts; operating equipment; performing tests and inspections; performing preventative maintenance; enter data into maintenance management system; and performing field and emergency calls.
Incumbents assigned to fire equipment, perform technical and mechanical diagnostic and repair work on specialized fire apparatus and related equipment, including preventative maintenance; welding; electric network troubleshooting and repair; and providing on-call support to the fire department .
- Diagnosing, repairing, and maintaining construction and automotive equipment, light- and heavy-duty trucks, police and fire apparatus, water and sewer equipment, and other miscellaneous equipment; performs mechanical, diesel, and hydraulic repairs; and performs preventative maintenance on vehicles and equipment.
- Dismantling, overhauling, repairing, and reassembling engines; rebuilding/replacing transmissions; rebuilding and maintaining drivetrains, carburetors, differentials, pumps, tanks, gearboxes, and computer-controlled circuits; and troubleshooting electrical, hydraulic, brake, suspension, steering, and/or HVAC system issues.
- Performing complex maintenance, repair, and safety operations by performing diagnostic troubleshooting, including utilizing computer diagnostics; performs tests and inspects equipment, vehicles, systems, and devices; and designs and fabricates parts, equipment, and components as needed.
- Coordinating with vendors, state and other agencies, City departments, and external agencies to assist with preparing service schedules; providing technical assistance; and ensuring compliance with safety and other applicable regulations, standards, policies and procedures.
- Performing customer service duties and responding to field and emergency calls; responding to customer questions, requests, and complaints; prioritizing inquiries; and troubleshooting complex or escalated maintenance-related issues.
- Performing inventory maintenance duties, to include tracking parts and supplies; coordinating with vendors to acquire quotes and purchase orders; and ordering, receiving, and stocking supplies.
- Preparing, maintaining, reviewing, and/or processing reports, records, work orders, and other documents; maintaining and updating databases; performing data entry; gathering, compiling and reviewing information to document maintenance and repair operations, customer concerns, and other information; and reviews work for accuracy and completeness.
- Performing highly skilled mechanical maintenance and repair operations on diversified medium/heavy-duty construction, utility, fire, and/or police vehicles, systems, and/or tools, to include diagnosing and repairing motorized equipment, computer-control circuits, engines, and electrical and hydraulic systems.
- Welding and fabricating equipment and tools as needed.
- Utilizing computer-controlled and specialized software and programs to diagnose and troubleshoot issues.
- Ensuring compliance with applicable safety and operational policies and procedures.
- Documenting equipment maintenance and repair operations.
- Performing other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- Associate's Degree in auto mechanics/repair, automotive diesel technology or related field and 3 years of automotive repair experience which includes welding and fabrication "OR" High School Diploma/equivalent and 7 years of automotive repair experience which includes welding and fabrication.
- North Carolina Class A or B Commercial Driver's License and satisfactory driving record or obtain within 6 months of hire.
- North Carolina Inspection and/or Emissions License or obtain within 6 months of hire.
- Environmental Protection Agency 609 Certification or obtain within 6 months of hire.
- Fork Lift Operator's License or obtain within 6 months of hire.
- This position is critical to emergency operations and will report to work in spite of or because of an emergency or disaster event).
- Additional Preferred Skills
- ASE certification.
- NC State Inspectors License.
- Welding certification(s).
- Light/heavy truck repair experience.
- Experience with diagnostic equipment to include OEM diagnostic software, scan tools and similar equipment.