City of Durham, NC
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Night Shift Crew Chief I - Street Cleaning
at City of Durham, NC
Pay: $45198.4 to $69596.8/year
$45198.4 - $69596.8
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2408551
Categories: Restaurant/Food Service
Overall Job Objective
- Position Description
Work, Serve, Thrive. With the City of Durham
Advance in your career while making a real difference in the community you serve.
Top-notch management, highly qualified, competent staff and opportunities for career advancement and professional success make the City of Durham's Public Works Department a great place to work. We create the foundation on which Durham is built, using innovative methods that support the City's growth and enhance our quality of life. If growing professionally while serving your community is for you, bring your skills to Durham!
Hiring Range: $45,198.40 - $52,873.60
Hours: 11:00pm - 7:30am*
Responsible for the supervision of diverse work crews that support the mission by performing basic and complex labor and equipment operation duties; as necessary to execute city construction, maintenance, community development, and facilities projects.
This role supervises 3-7 FTE's (heavy equipment operators I and II, Senior Laborers and Laborers). These crews are responsible for asphalt maintenance, concrete maintenance, litter collection, street sweeping, and stormwater infrastructure maintenance. When needed, they are assigned to various maintenance work units within the Street Maintenance division to supervise a variety of work.
*This position receives shift differential pay in addition to base salary for night shift.
- Provides direct supervision to a diversely assigned crew performing diverse and complex construction and maintenance functions by assigning work and monitoring progress; training and instruction; providing input to hiring & disciplinary decisions.
- Operates complex and various heavy equipment including but not limited to: tractor with attachments, front-end loader with attachments, F-550 with trailer, dump truck with/without trailer, backhoe, skid-steer, motor grader, pneumatic rollers, bulldozers, excavators.
- Communicates work-related needs and issues to co-workers and supervisors by providing updates regarding the status of open work orders and construction, maintenance, community development, and/or facilities tasks and estimates material needs; measures performance and productivity; provides progress reports to supervisor; communicates effectively with community residents, volunteers and public groups with whom they may come into contact.
- Assures a safe work area and follows safety standard operating procedures as appropriate for the work.
- Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- High school diploma or GED equivalency.
- 4 or more years of related experience
- 1 year of technical training in area of assignment
- Work requires functioning as a lead worker performing essentially the same work as those directed, and includes overseeing work quality, training, instructing, and scheduling work.
- North Carolina Class "A" or "B" Commercial Driver's License required depending on department to which assigned.
- This position subject to on-call, recall and after hours work.
- Knowledge and ability to utilize a laptop, tablet computer and Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) such as Cityworks is required.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office suite
- Knowledge of DOT traffic laws and requirements applicable to heavy equipment operation and supervision of work crews.
- The successful candidate will have broad knowledge of street maintenance, asphalt maintenance, concrete maintenance, street cleaning/sweeping functions and the ability to operate all heavy equipment assigned to Public Works (examples include but not limited to: Backhoe, Excavator, Rubber Tire Loader, Jet Vac Truck, Track Loader, Skid Steer loader, motorgrader and Dump Trucks).
- Additional Preferred Skills
This Agency Seeks Diversity in the Workplace.