City of Durham, NC
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of Durham, NC
- Position Description
Work. Serve. Thrive. With the City of Durham
Advance in your career while making a real difference in the community you serve.
More than 300 talented, dedicated employees in the City of Durham's Water Management Department work to keep safe drinking water flowing throughout the City and manage wastewater effectively. We lead long-term water and wastewater planning and infrastructure development, regularly treat and test systems for environmental compliance, and engage the public in water conservation to ensure all of our customers have clean, safe water every time they turn on the tap. If you share our passion for managing vital water resources, bring your skills and talent to Durham!
Hiring Range: $64,915 - $85,000
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Providing engineering support, inspection, and professional civil engineering for a variety of utilities projects as well as review of public and private development projects. Incumbents perform fully proficient advanced journey-level engineering work in planning, design, construction, and coordination of projects requiring independent evaluation and analysis of issues and the exercise of judgment. Decision-making includes selecting the method to address a problem or issue, subject to the constraints established by management objectives and direction.
An incumbent is responsible for administering contracts; managing projects and tasks; assisting with the coordination of, and attending public meetings; completing special projects; researching, analyzing and compiling information to recommend engineering solutions and prepare reports and presentations; overseeing data-gathering and data analysis; assisting with grant applications and management; reviewing development plans; drafting agreements; drafting ordinances and council communications; performing field inspections; developing technical specifications; coordinating procurement processes;and maintaining records.
- Manages projects, programs, and assigned department operations; develops and administers contracts; develops operational policies and procedures; establishes project and unit goals; develops project scope, budgets, and schedules; trains staff; improves safety and operational processes; and assists with preparing applications for and managing grants.
- Oversees data collection and analysis; conducts engineering studies; creates work plans and processes, identifying locations/areas requiring improvement; recommends and implements engineering and safety solutions; and tracks post-implementation project progress and requirements.
- Performs field inspections and monitors operations to ensure compliance with safety and other applicable regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Prepares, reviews, and analyzes engineering plans and bids, drawings, reports, contracts, agreements, presentations, specifications, request for proposals/qualifications, and other documentation; drafts ordinances and City Council communications; coordinates the review of and/or reviews design submittals from internal and external staff; develops technical specifications; and maintains records, logs, and databases.
- Assists with the coordination of and/or attends public meetings; provides technical expertise and consultation to City departments and external agencies; and provides training.
- Designs, implements, and evaluates special projects; may create drawings and plans as required.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or a directly related field
- Five years of professional engineering experience with water and/or wastewater projects.
- Professional Engineer (PE) Registration or if you have a similar out of state certification/registration you must obtain North Carolina registration within six (6) months of start date.
- Must have a valid, unrestricted, North Carolina driver's license "or" if you currently have another state driver's license, must be willing and able to obtain a valid NC driver's license within 60 days of hire.
- Additional Preferred Skills
- Experience with basin planning and projections of water and sewer demands
- Experience with hydraulic modeling for water and/or sewer projects
- Contract administration for water/wastewater projects
- Understanding of principles, practices, modern methods, and techniques used in design and operation of distribution and collection systems
- Knowledge of applicable laws and regulatory codes relevant to design, permitting, and operation of distribution and collection systems
- The ability to communicate effectively both in writing and orally
- Experience with being an effective part of a team