City of Durham, NC
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr. Fleet Maintenance Specialist
at City of Durham, NC
- Position Description
Work. Serve. Thrive. With the City of Durham
Advance in your career while making a real difference in the community you serve.
Hiring Range: $48,922 – $52,895
Hours: 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM
More than 300 talented, dedicated employees in the City of Durham's Water Management Department work to keep safe drinking water flowing throughout the City and manage wastewater effectively. We lead long-term water and wastewater planning and infrastructure development, regularly treat and test systems for environmental compliance, and engage the public in water conservation to ensure all of our customers have clean, safe water every time they turn on the tap. If you share our passion for managing vital water resources, bring your skills and talent to Durham!
Water Management has a vacancy for a skilled mechanic to join our congenial team that diagnose, repair, and maintain construction equipment, City vehicles, and other miscellaneous (motorized and non-motorized) equipment used to service water and wastewater systems. The successful candidate will have experience performing mechanical work and repairs, servicing electrical and hydraulic systems, and repairing gasoline powered engines. Other duties include performing North Carolina Safety Inspections and metal fabrication/repair using all types of welding and light machine shop tools.
- Skilled with dismantling, overhauling, repairing and reassembling gas engines
- Skilled with rebuilding/replacing transmissions, drive trains, carburetors, differentials, pumps, & gear boxes
- Skilled with welding metal components, fabricating unique parts & operating equipment
- Diagnoses equipment problems by performing tests & inspections using computers, scanners, & analyzers
- Diagnoses, repairs, and maintains construction and automotive equipment, light- and heavy-duty trucks, police and fire apparatus, water and sewer equipment, and other miscellaneous equipment; performs mechanical, diesel, and hydraulic repairs; and performs preventative maintenance on vehicles and equipment.
- Dismantles, overhauls, repairs, and reassembles engines; rebuilds/replaces transmissions; rebuilds and maintains drivetrains, carburetors, differentials, pumps, tanks, gearboxes, and computer-controlled circuits; and troubleshoots electrical, hydraulic, brake, suspension, steering, and/or HVAC system issues.
- Performs complex maintenance, repair, and safety operations by performing diagnostic troubleshooting, including utilizing computer diagnostics; performs tests and inspects equipment, vehicles, systems, and devices; and designs and fabricates parts, equipment, and components as needed.
- Coordinates with vendors, state and other agencies, City departments, and external agencies to assist with preparing service schedules; provides technical assistance; and ensures compliance with safety and other applicable regulations, standards, policies and procedures.
- Performs customer service duties and responds to field and emergency calls; responds to customer questions, requests, and complaints; prioritizes inquiries; and troubleshoots complex or escalated maintenance-related issues.
- Performs inventory maintenance duties, to include tracking parts and supplies; coordinating with vendors to acquire quotes and purchase orders; and ordering, receiving, and stocking supplies.
- Prepares, maintains, reviews, and/or processes reports, records, work orders, and other documents; maintains and updates databases; performs data entry; gathers, compiles and reviews information to document maintenance and repair operations, customer concerns, and other information; and reviews work for accuracy and completeness.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- 3 years of automotive repair including welding and fabrication
- Associates degree or equivalent
- Ability to rotate and work Stand-by/Recall duty on a regular basis
- NC Commercial Driver's License (CDL) B at hire (must acquire unrestricted A-CDL with tanker endorsement within 3 months of hire)
- Additional Preferred Skills
- NC State Inspectors License or must be acquired within 1 year of hire
- ASE certification