City of Durham, NC
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Stormwater Services Technician (Part-Time Temporary)
at City of Durham, NC
- Position Description
Work, Serve, Thrive. With the City of Durham
Advance in your career while making a real difference in the community you serve.
Hiring Rate: $20.77/hour
This position will be a temporary assignment expected to work less than 30 hours per week.
Top-notch management, highly qualified, competent staff and opportunities for career advancement and professional success make the City of Durham's Public Works Department a great place to work. We create the foundation on which Durham is built, using innovative methods that support the City's growth and enhance our quality of life. If growing professionally while serving your community is for you, bring your skills to Durham!
Public Works Department - Stormwater & GIS Services and Stormwater Maintenance are responsible for assessment, improvement and maintenance of storm drainage systems in the City and water quality through these systems. The Stormwater Services Technician will be located with the Stormwater Infrastructure Group in City Hall and provide frontline customer service regarding drainage, flooding, maintenance and water quality issues, triage service requests and provide field and office support for Stormwater Infrastructure, Maintenance and Water Quality Groups.
- Provides customer service in the areas of stormwater maintenance, stormwater quality, and private property stormwater issues through phone calls, email, Durham One Call and other City staff to address each concern and route correctly. Provides documentation to customers including Durham Codes of Ordinance, maps, pamphlets and reports to customers (residents, City and NCDOT).
- Completes independent field research in support of assigned projects by working with contractors; overseeing contractor work; providing information to administration for processing payments; providing support for contractors in locating valves and leaks, and completing other utility related functions.
- Conducts site inspections and surveys as needed.
- Prepares maps, legal descriptions, legal notes, and related required research.
- Manages digital video/picture data files, provides support for Stormwater Maintenance crews, develops and provides public information concerning various Public Works – Stormwater Infrastructure and Maintenance projects. Manages stormwater service request backlogs and routinely discusses performance measures and workload trends with staff and supervisor.
- Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- High school diploma or GED equivalency
- One or more years of related stormwater and customer service experience.
- Valid NC Class "C" Driver's License.
- Additional Preferred Skills
- One year experience in stormwater and water quality technical fields such as infrastructure mapping, design, drainage areas, topography, maintenance, illicit discharge, outfall inspection, pollution prevention and detection, NFPDES permitting and management;
- One or more years using Cityworks or similar software, including creating and closing Service Requests and Work Orders.
- Certifications, such as Certified Floodplain Manager, Certified Stormwater Inspector, Sedimentation and Erosion Control or similar certifications.