North Carolina Military and Lovely Coastal Community Seeks
Visionary, Mission Driven Public Health Director
Onslow County is seeking its next Public Health Director. The accredited Onslow County Department of Public Health serves a diverse community. The successful candidate will be a proven public health administrator who has impeccable integrity and is a compassionate, strategic thinker with a record of outstanding community engagement, transparency, staff excellence and innovative leadership in health service delivery. The incoming Health Director must value teamwork and collaboration, as well as champion outstanding service while holding high standards for self and others. The environment is ripe for a leader who is a change agent ready to make an impact both in the agency and in the community.
The county is bordered by Pender County to the south, Duplin County to the west, Jones County to the north, Carteret County to the northeast, and the Atlantic Ocean to the east. The County has a flat, gently rolling terrain which slopes from an altitude of 63 feet at the town of Richlands to sea level and covers a total of 767 square miles encompassing approximately 484,000 acres, of which about 156,400 acres comprise the Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base and New River Marine Corps Air Station and are owned by the federal government. Additionally, approximately 48,000 acres are in Hoffman Forest and are owned by the North Carolina Forestry Foundation, Inc., and approximately 31,000 acres are in incorporated or urban areas.
There are six municipalities within the county, the largest being the City of Jacksonville, which serves as the county seat. Onslow County has a population of nearly 200,000 as well as 43,000 marines and sailors stationed at Camp Lejeune. Located in Eastern North Carolina, Onslow County enjoys a temperate climate and is a short drive to the beach. The military, agriculture, seafood, timber, tourism, government, and healthcare are main economic drivers for the County. Economically and age-diverse, the County has an overall poverty level of 13.5% with about 46% reduced school lunch participants and less than 2% of residents over the age of 65 compared with a rate of nearly 14% for females aged 25-34.*
*Source: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/onslowcountynorthcarolina and https://datausa.io/profile/geo/onslow-county-nc/#category_wages
Onslow County has a commissioner/manager form of government. The seven members of the Board of Commissioners are elected at large on a partisan basis and serve staggered four-year terms. The County is regarded as a fiscally responsible and well-managed government. The County has an overall budget of approximately $215.9 million, a property tax rate of 70.5 cents per $100 of assessed valuation and $156 million in debt compared to the county's current debt limit of $920 million. There are 1,250 Employees serve the citizens of Onslow County across 27 departments. The County government provides services ranging from animal control to zoning, and support for quality public education, working with an elected Board of Education and appointed school superintendent.
Check out the recruitment brochure here.
Department and Position Overview:
Within Onslow County, the Public Health Department exists within Consolidated Human Services which also includes Social Services and Senior Services. Reporting to Consolidated Human Services and County Administration, the Public Health Director leads a staff of over 115 to deliver and promote public health services, strategies and initiatives to the citizens of the County. The Health Department operates six divisions: Administration, Personal and Family Health, Nutrition Services, Environmental Health, Community Relations and Preparedness, Home Health and Hospice with a budget of $18.5M. The state of the art, Consolidated Human Services Agency opened in April 2017 to offer centralized health and social services to Onslow County residents. Additionally, the Health Department operates three (3) satellite offices throughout the County offering limited services.
The Consolidated Human Services Board have identified the following top nine key health concerns:
- Exercise, Nutrition & Weight
- Other Chronic Diseases
- Substance Abuse
- Access to Health Services
- Heart disease & Stroke
- Public Safety
- Respiratory Diseases
- Social Environment
The new Health Director will work with County Administration, the Consolidated Services Advisory Committee and the Board of County Commissioners to address the key health concerns and priorities while working to envision new priorities to protect and promote the health care of the citizens the County. Building a transparent, informational and accountable relationship with the Board and public is essential. Like many communities, increases in opioid addiction and the prevalence of STDs create challenges for innovative outreach, education, treatment and prevention. Ongoing disparity of income and healthcare access require innovative programs and initiatives to ensure people can receive outstanding healthcare. The next director is a passionate advocate for citizen access to outstanding public health care and the ongoing development of a climate of excellence in which staff grow and thrive in delivering outstanding customer service.
Minimum training and experience requirements are in accordance with GS 130A-40 and GS 130A-45.5. For master's degree related to public health, the determination must be made by the State Health Director.
- A medical doctorate; or,
- A master's degree in Public Health Administration, and at least one year of employment experience in health programs or health services; or,
- A master's degree in a public health discipline other than public health administration, and at least three years of employment experience in health programs or health services; or,
- A master's degree in public administration, and at least two years of experience in health programs or health services; or,
- A master's degree in a field related to public health, and at least three years of experience in health programs or health services; or,
- A bachelor's degree in public health administration or public administration and at least three years of experience in health programs or health services.
In Addition, the Successful Candidate:
- Master's degree in Public Health in addition to required education;
- Six (6) years of senior management level experience working directly for or with a public health agency;
- Experience with direct oversight and/or working closely with public health clinical services, communicable disease and public health preparedness.
- a respected and skillful leader who is able to effectively recruit, retain, manage, develop and engage talented staff;
- an assertive advocate for the needs of Public Health clients, community members and employees with key stakeholders and decision makers who influence policy, law and funding;
- creative in working through shortages in staffing and increases in caseloads in a time of low unemployment;
- an effective influencer who matches goals, data and strategy to aid decision makers in understanding needs and resources needed to improve service delivery;
- skillful in diplomatically engaging with a diversity of stakeholders such as individual citizens, community groups, Consolidated Human Services Advisory Committee, County Board of Commissioners, employees, regional, state and federal authorities in order to leverage County opportunities and mitigate challenges;
- will expand and enhance a culture of excellent customer service for all stakeholders;
- will break down silos and barriers effectively while building bridges and paths to solutions in partnership with others;
- embraces innovative solutions such as offering provider training programs, leveraging technology, partnering to remove obstacles (e.g. cultural and language barriers, transportation, etc.) in order to solve challenging health care delivery issues;
- is an analytical and strategic thinker who creates and applies performance metrics, ensures the effective collection and evaluation of data, and objectively measures department performance against mission critical goals;
- advocates for services of the agency to regulatory bodies and programmatic partners;
- is experienced in developing, managing and coordinating a budget that consists of funds from multiple sources;
- is knowledgeable about the legal and philosophical basis for health programs and applies standards to ensure compliance;
- networks with peers in neighboring communities, the state and region to benchmark the organization, identify best practices and leverage resources; and,
- communicates excellently both verbally and in writing and possesses well-developed interpersonal skills and abilities.
| Additional Information:|
Compensation and Benefits
The hiring range is $87,711 to $114,024. Final salary will be based on experience and combined with a generous benefits package. Benefits include but are not limited to: participation in the Local Governmental Employees Retirement System, 401(k), vacation and sick leave, medical and dental insurance, employee assistance program, group life insurance, and other supplemental benefit programs. For more information visit: https://www.onslowcountync.gov/758/Benefits. Residency within the County is required.
Application and Selection Process
To apply, please go to http://www.developmentalassociates.com, and click on Public Health Director – Onslow County link on the home page. All applications must be submitted online. All applications must be submitted online via the Developmental Associates application portal – NOT the County Application portal, nor any other external website; it is not sufficient to send only a resume. Resumes and cover letters as well as unofficial transcripts should be uploaded with the application. Application review begins August 15, 2019. Finalists will participate in onsite interviews and skill assessments on October 8-9, 2019 in Onslow County. Applicants are encouraged to hold these dates should they be invited to participate. All inquiries should be emailed to email@example.com. Onslow County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Developmental Associates, LLC is managing the recruitment and selection process for this position.