Duke University Hospital
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
CLINICAL TECHNICIAN II
at Duke University Hospital
DUHS CLINICAL LABS
4031 CLINICAL TECHNICIAN II
Perform Phlebotomy on Adult Inpatients every Saturday and Sunday from 2pm-10:30pm
- Perform a variety of routine and specialized procedures.
- Prepare and initiate special tests and procedures including, but not limited to, cytogenetics, general laboratory, Point-of-Care Testing, urinalysis without microscope, phlebotomy, cyto preparatory, and specimen management.
- Communicate in a professional and courteous manner with patients, family and other medical personnel as necessary for problem recognition and initiation of the resolution and, if necessary, escalation to the next level. Obtain information for laboratory records, explain procedures, allay fears and elicit cooperation.
- Perform a variety of routine and specialized specimen preparation procedures including, but not limited to, general laboratory specimen preparation, cytology specimen preparation, cytogentics specimen preparation.
- Perform various quality control, safety, and infection control procedures to maintain compliance with internal and external regulations.
- Receive and process specimens as required by respective laboratory area procedures and protocols.
- Participate in the distribution of specimens, supplies and reports to the appropriate laboratory staff; perform messenger/courier activities as required.
- Maintain inventory of supplies; stock supplies on carts and hand trays; wash glassware.
- Utilize various hospital information systems and software
- Assist in training new personnel; provide technical assistance to new employees, students as assigned.
- Maintain specimens and/or slides. Prepare reagents, dyes, etc. used in the processing of specimens.
- Perform routine maintenance as required by laboratory procedures.
- Assist with word processing, miscellaneous office tasks and maintaining office records.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Basic phlebotomy and specimen processing techniques.
- Knowledge of medical terms preferred.
- Basic computer skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Effective professional communication skills to interact with patients/ customers.
CLINICAL TECHNICIAN II
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
EducationHigh School diploma or GED. For assignment to phlebotomy, completion ofa structured phlebotomy training course and clinical rotationrecommended.
ExperienceAlternatively, an equivalent combination of relevant education and/orexperience.Must have at least 2 years experience as a Clin Tech I or Certificationas a Phlebotomist plus achieve required competency level for specifiedjob responsibilities.
Degrees, Licensures, CertificationsFor assignment to Phlebotomy Services, certification as a Phlebotomistby a nationally recognized board/agency* is required; certification ofBasic Life Support preferred. Pediatric Phlebotomy requires PediatricPhlebotomy Certification.National Healthcare Association (NHA) --Clinical Laboratory PhlebotomyExamination (CLPlb), American Society of Clinical Pathologists--Phlebotomy Technician Examination [PBT(ASCP)], International Academy ofPhlebotomy Sciences (IAPS), National Phlebotomy Association (NPA),American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT).