Duke University Hospital
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
HISTOLOGY TECH II
at Duke University Hospital
DUHS CLINICAL LABS
4073 HISTOLOGY TECH II
Perform routine histopathological tests in a clinical laboratory for use in the treatment and diagnosis of disease.
- Perform routine and special paraffin sections of surgical and autopsy tissue for microscopic examination in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- Prepare equipment and reagents for processing, embedding, microtome cutting and mounting of tissue; perform routine and special staining techniques.
- Label, file,discard and maintain records of tissue samples and containers, tissue processing cassettes, final paraffin blocks and slides.
- Label and record slides of specimens received; provide specimens for microscopic examination and diagnosis by the pathologist.
- Obtain and log specimens from the operating rooms and other areas as required.
- Perform frozen cytostat sectioning.
- Set up equipment,instruments, reagents and apparatus for specific laboratory techniques.
- Perform various Quality Control procedures to maintain compliance with internal and external regulations.
- Utilize various hospital information systems and software.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated competency in histological laboratory skills.
- Ability to perform assigned tasks on routine and special material.
HISTOLOGY TECH II
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
EducationBS/BA preferred. Registered or registry eligible as HistologyTechnician ASCP (American Society for Clinical Pathology).
ExperienceOne year experience with BS/BA or AS/AA. No experience needed forNAACLS (National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences)Program.
Degrees, Licensures, CertificationsRegistered or registry eligible as Histology Technician ASCP