Duke University Hospital
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
MANAGEMENT ENGINEER, DUKE HEART NETWORK
at Duke University Hospital
5012 MANAGEMENT ENGINEER
REPORTS TO: Performance Services Leadership
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Associate Chief Medical Information Officer, Duke Heart Network
Asst. Vice President, Network Services Subspecialty Affiliations
DIVISIONAL PURPOSE: To contribute to the achievement of the mission and role of the Duke Heart Network by supporting DHN business operations, and through development and leadership of performance monitoring, analysis, reporting and improvement activities.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The DHN Management Engineer is responsible for supporting the mission and role of the Duke Heart Network (DHN) by supporting (a) business operations, and (b) performance monitoring, analysis, reporting and improvement activities, enabling the DHN to:
- Expand affiliated heart programs with community hospitals which generate larger financial returns from the Heart Network to DUHS
- Assist Duke affiliates in the expansion or enhancement of programs and implementation of processes that improve the care delivered in the local community
- Develop and present quarterly reports that reflect value of the services to the heart affiliates and DUHS
Coordinate business and operational activities supporting the Duke Heart Network, within Duke Network Services, including:
- DHN Business Operations
- Assist DHN and Duke Heart Center leadership to develop and expand affiliation opportunities that mutually benefit DUHS and community organizations including,
- obtaining and collating feedback and finalizing Duke’s response documentation (e.g. Request for Proposals/Development Presentations, etc), and
- contributing to a variety of administrative services to support the affiliation process of new DHN affiliates including participation in site visits, contract development, communications, marketing and publicity.
- In collaboration with with DHN Sr. Director, the Duke Heart Center and Duke Clinical Contracting, assist in the review of current and proposed business transactions by assisting with contract review and development; and the development of fee structures associated with new or existing affiliate agreement service offerings and operational/licensing budgets.
- In collaboration with the DHN Sr. Director and DHN team, assist in creating quarterly and annual DHN reports for DHN affiliates for print and presentation to senior leadership and/or hospital boards at affiliate site that reflect value of the services to the heart affiliates and DUHS.
- Facilitate the completion of for DHN internal communications including monthly Pipeline and Community Updates.
- Work with the DHN Sr. Director, and DHN affiliate program directors to monitor business operations at DHN sites, recommending changes or adjustments to ensure an effective, efficient, and service oriented operation.
- In collaboration with the DHN Sr. Director, serve as the lead in the development of DHN and affiliate site information technology infrastructure in support of quality oversight of cardiovascular services (case reviews) and effective remote participation in Morbidity and Mortality Conferences and CV Service Line meetings to continuously enhance DHN networking capability and, as appropriate, reduce variable expense burden for DHN affiliate sites
- Assist in the drafting & monitoring of annual budgets that support affiliate workplans.
- Maintain oversight of out of state time and effort allocation tracking for DHN
- Work with Network Services Financial Analyst to ensure appropriate billing of affiliate sites, and funds flow to DUSOM/PDC for consultative services on monthly/quarterly basis
- Performance Improvement
- Serve as an expert resource for the DHN team and DHN affiliates in providing consultative performance improvement support focused on business operations, utilizing process re-design, six sigma and LEAN principles and as appropriate, providing consultative guidance surrounding revenue-cycle management/cost containment strategies.
- Plan activities aimed at improving DHN and DHN affiliate hospital performance in operations or clinical quality. Design and implement strategies for enhancing performance and compliance with regulations and accreditation standards.
- Serve as a project manager for interdisciplinary teams.
- Establish performance targets. Contribute to the establishment of performance improvement priorities for the DHN and for the DHN affiliates.
- Evaluate effectiveness of improvement strategies through sustained monitoring and effective reporting of performance. Recommend modifications and corrective actions, as appropriate
- Analyze and compile data; develop and produce reports associated with the DHN and DHN affiliate performance setting forth progress, trends, and appropriate recommendations or conclusions; reports include development of departmental or service line dashboards, benchmarking reports, and presentations within and external to DUHS.
- The Management Engineer will work directly with the Network Services Financial Analyst, Clinical Contract Services, DHN staff & leaders, Duke Network Services Staff and Leaders, Duke Heart Center leaders and Duke Heart Affiliated hospital-based program directors (Duke and non-Duke employed) and sr. leaders. Position will require communication within DUHS, PDC, and CSU leadership.
- Ability to travel to affiliated sites (generally within a 4-hour drive or short flights on small planes, some regional/national overnight travel will also be required)
- Perform other duties incidental to the work described herein.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
MANAGEMENT ENGINEER, DUKE HEART NETWORK
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Job Qualifications at this Level
The position requires analytical, organizational and communications skills acquired through completion of a bachelor’s degree program. Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Engineering or a business or health related field is required. Masters in related field desired.
Minimum of 4 years of experience. Experience can be substituted with Master's degree, with a Masters being equivalent to two years of experience. Or, with 2 years of Duke ME I experience.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- Project management experience required
- Effective facilitation skills
- Experience with motivating and leading teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to utilize and analyze data to develop and support recommendations
- Ability to interpret impact of financial analysis and statistical analysis
- Ability to manage several projects and processes simultaneously and effectively communicate progress toward goals
- Attention to detail and accuracy
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
This position requires the individual to have the ability to respond appropriately in highly public environments, remote to the Duke campus, in high-pressure situations. A person with experience in DUHS or another academic-based health care delivery system with knowledge of clinical services is preferred.
This position will be reviewed annually based on performance against a set of goals and objectives developed in alignment with DUHS and functional strategies. The set of annual goals and objectives is to be developed and agreed upon.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.