Duke University Hospital
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
NURSING COORDINATOR - DUSON
at Duke University Hospital
1253 NURSING COORDINATOR
The Duke Elder Family/Caregiver Training Center (DEFT) Nurse Coordinator will provide education, skills training, and support to caregivers referred to the Center for supplemental enhanced and/or specialized home caregiving needs. In collaboration with DUHS providers including nurses and case managers, the Nurse Coordinator will determine the optimal educational resources, tools and/or activities to enhance the caregiver readiness and ability to provide care and support to the patient after hospital discharge. The Nurse Coordinator will also collaborate and communicate with patients primary care providers to promote continuity of medical care after hospital discharge. The Nurse Coordinator will track caregiver demographics, educational needs, and program outcomes to assist in the identification of when and how the Center's resources can be redirected and or expanded.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Serve as a resource to caregivers and their loved ones (patient), providing education, skills-training, and telephone follow-up problem solving after discharge from the hospital.
• Coordinate the development, utilization, and evaluation of appropriate educational resources and interventions that assist the caregiver in developing the skills to provide care at home.
• Promote evidence-based practice and participation in developing, implementing, and evaluating process standards such as plans of care, protocols, and guidelines.
• Assess the educational needs of the caregiver as it relates to the disease process, alterations in function, and assimilation back into the home and community.
• Participate in quality/performance improvement programs and projects, product evaluation, outcomes evaluation studies and/or clinical research.
• Participate in the training and supervision of inter-professional learners in providing for caregiver training and support.
• Utilize teaching and learning theories to assist patients and families with physical and emotional impact of body changes and chronic illness.
• Provide clinical experience in a preceptor role for inter-professional students attending institutions that have contractual agreements with DUHS.
• Collaborate with DEFT care team and inpatient providers to determine caregiver educational needs for post discharge care of significant other.
• Assess caregiver training needs and determine best resource to meet those needs; through DEFT Center training, existing Duke resources, or community agency referral.
• Collaborate with DEFT Center Case Manager when new caregiver or patient needs are identified while working with caregiver, such as homecare or community referral.
• Develop in collaboration with DEFT clinical team members caregiver educational materials based on identified trend needs identified by DEFT referrals.
• Provide education to individual caregivers and/or groups of caregivers based on need and caregiver’s ability to participate.
• Maintain effective communication and collaborate with health care team members related to transitional care and post discharge follow up as appropriate.
• Collaborate with extended care team members such as those who may interact with the patient and or family through Duke Connected Care, DUHS Resource Center or other program management in the community involved in the patient’s care.
• Collaborate with DEFT staff to review and update the workflow process as needed, including orders, documentation, and caregiver phone calls.
• Maintain, track and order educational and teaching supplies as needed to perform caregiver training classes.
• Develop and maintain positive relationships with customers internal and external to Duke Health System.
• Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Preferred candidates will have a MSN and Duke NICHE (Nurses Improving Care of Health system Elders) Geriatric Resource Nurse (GRN) designation. The hired individual must obtain designation within one year of hire. Preferred candidates must have experience working with multidisciplinary work teams and community partners. Responsibilities of position may require after hours and weekend work from time to time.
NURSING COORDINATOR - DUSON
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
SON-FACULTY AND STAFF
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
ExperienceWork requires two years nursing experience. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE