Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Editor in Chief
Devada is committed to empowering developers. Our mission is to harness the incredible power of technology and bring developer practitioners, advocates, and inspiring novices alike together in community through our product and platform offerings. Recognizing that developers sit at the hub of innovation in many different kinds of companies, we offer solutions that drive knowledge sharing, foster communities for collaboration, and facilitate learning and growth.?
Since 2005, Devada has been empowering developers to learn, share, grow, and succeed via the technology-specific web communities we enable. DZone.com is one of the world’s largest communities of user-contributed technical learning resources, and AnswerHub software powers developer relations communities for some of the biggest technology and tech-enabled companies in the world.
As the Editor in Chief at Devada, you will own the creation, distribution and management of a holistic rich media content strategy and operating plan for our media entity, DZone.com. In this role you will provide direction, guidance, and leadership to the DZone.com editorial team, overseeing all aspects of our user-generated and in-house created content delivery and distribution business model. The ideal candidate brings a broad knowledge of the technology world with a focus on what drives software developers at all levels (executive, manager, architect, project leader, individual contributor) as well as a passion for building relationships with authors and publishers, and an ability to craft and drive a deterministic editorial agenda to help engage and grow our global DZone.com user and member community and grow our valuable contributor network.
In this role, you will partner with the commercially-focused media management team, which consists of product management, sales, marketing, and production, to deliver on your agreed KPIs and OKRs, including driving revenue and profitability targets for the business unit. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a growing company, lead a great team, and have an immediate impact on how we provide a differentiated editorial experience on DZone.com!
The Editor in Chief will be responsible for the following key areas:
- Editorial: In this role, you will be responsible for crafting and executing a forward-looking and data-driven editorial agenda, including multimedia content creation and distribution across DZone.com. The Editor in Chief will oversee the commissioning, editing, and production of written, video, and audio content on a global basis, including setting the agreed framework for editorial, and the DZone.com editorial line on the major issues of the day. In support of our contributory content model, you will be responsible for attracting, developing, and retaining a high-performing editorial team, establishing and executing on clearly defined goals, and encouraging diversity and depth of knowledge across the in-house team as well as our worldwide network of content contributors. The Editor in Chief will craft and defend DZone.com’s editorial position, content and staff, and ensure the maintenance of Devada and DZone.com values throughout editorial content and presentation.
- Strategic: In collaboration with the Media GM and Devada’s CEO, the Editor in Chief will set the editorial course for DZone.com over short, medium, and long terms. This individual will be responsible for crafting and executing a detailed vision of the strategy and positioning of DZone.com across different global markets. The Editor in Chief will work cross-functionally with commercial and technology teams to help ensure a holistic view is taken of digital and financial opportunities and challenges. Bringing to bear a sophisticated understanding of new technologies impacting news and content businesses, this individual will chart the digital future of DZone.com.
- Commercial: Partnering with the Media GM, the Editor in Chief will create and realize new revenue streams and business models, collaborating closely with technology, marketing, and commercial leadership. This individual will contribute to the continued growth of the membership community in all key geographies, ensuring an integrated approach to editorial, programming, and content aspects. You will also serve as a subject matter expert for customers seeking best practices on how to leverage digital and interactive media content on DZone.com.
- Internal: As a member of the Media management team, the Editor in Chief will contribute to broader strategy and operational effectiveness across functions. This individual will help develop overall strategy and vision and debate on matters affecting DZone.com views on technology developments with a focus on software developers and the software development community worldwide.
- External: The Editor in Chief will be a public face and advocate for DZone, making public appearances and contributing to media policy, media strategy and positions on topics relevant to the DZone.com audience. This individual will often be required to represent DZone.com as a global media property in the media, and the public, as well as speaking at conferences and membership events.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English, creative writing, marketing or related field and a passion for continuous learning and professional development
- 10+ years of relevant, progressive experience in global digital media businesses with multi-media content strategy development and/or developer relations, editorial management, and commercial execution
- Prior experience leading a diverse editorial team producing and curating user-generated and multi-media content for technology audiences with a focus on software developers preferred
- At least 5 years of digital media business experience managing an editorial team with a focus on content development, editorial strategy, and publications production, including recruiting, developing, and growing the team
- Proven experience formulating data-driven and fact-based editorial agendas, content strategies, and operating plans that lead to commercial growth
- Demonstrated experience creating engaging content and messaging for diverse target audiences
- Strong communication, leadership, change management, and facilitation skills
- Ability to consider multiple audiences, manage concurrent projects, and prioritize the work based on return on investment
Working for Devada
At Devada, “developer” is in our DNA. Our products and services are specifically focused on building and supporting great online communities for software developers to learn and share knowledge. Our software platform, AnswerHub, is used by the world’s largest development organizations to give both internal developers and partners a place to share technical knowledge. Our media property, DZone.com,?is home to one of the world’s largest online communities for developers.
We’re growing fast, but we are determined that each and every person has the opportunity to make a difference for our company and our customers each and every day. We encourage creativity and collaboration and thrive on continuous improvement. We hire purposefully for passion, self-motivation, intelligence, curiosity and adaptability.
Devada?has been listed in the Inc. 5000’s list of fastest growing private companies for five years running, and we are seeking great people to help us continue our rapid growth. We are headquartered in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.