granville health system
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Clinical Laboratory Manager - Laboratory
at granville health system
The Clinical Laboratory Manager is responsible for helping to ensure adequate coordination and supervision of the day-to-day operations in the high complexity laboratory; ensuring provision of timely, reliable and clinically relevant test results in compliance with applicable regulations and accreditation requirements (JCAHO, CAP, CLIA, HCFA, OSHA, FDA, State and Federal Laws). The General Supervisor is accessible to the laboratory for on-site, telephone, or electronic consultations, as needed, or ensures that a qualified designee is available in the supervisor's absence.
Assists with the organization and development of department goals, objectives, standards of performance, policies and procedures in accordance with administrative requirements; ensuring availability of high quality laboratory services to fulfill the needs of the organization's patients and clinicians.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Coordinates the training of students, new hires, and other employees; administers competency assessments and remedial training as required; and assists the Administrative Laboratory Director in evaluation of staff.
• Monitors and manages workflow and staffing levels to guarantee sufficient numbers of personnel with appropriate educational qualifications, documented training and experience, and adequate competency to meet the needs of the laboratory; as well as ensuring that delegated functions or responsibilities are properly performed by a qualified individual.
• Assists the Administrative Director of Diagnostic Services with budget preparation and provides feedback. Is actively involved in the selection of all laboratory equipment, test methodologies, supplies, and services, confirming proper validation or verification of new tests, instruments, and methods prior to patient testing, to sustain and improve the quality of the technical, clinical and operational aspects of the laboratory.
• Provides educational programs, strategic planning, and research and development appropriate to the needs of the laboratory and organization, and reports those to the Administrative Director of Diagnostic Services; is responsible for enrollment and participation in proficiency testing, performing (or delegating) and recording competency assessments for high complexity testing, and identifying training needs.
• Provides for intra-laboratory consultations and clinical consultations regarding the ordering of appropriate tests and the medical significance of laboratory data, and functions in an advisory capacity to the Director of Diagnostic Services in evaluating proposed procedural changes as they relate to patient care.
• Pursues programs of continuing education consistent with requirements of Granville Health System and certification agency; and participates in educational conferences to update and maintain professional knowledge and skills.
• Interacts with agencies such as national, state and local health departments, as appropriate, for laboratory-related matters.
• Is involved in the design, implementation and oversight of an effective quality management program for all aspects of test performance in the laboratory, including the pre-analytic, analytic, and post-analytic phases of testing; and ensures that proficiency testing, alternative assessment, and QC procedures are sufficient for the extent of testing performed in the laboratory.
• Assists the Medical Lab Director in the implementation and maintenance of the standards of the College of American Pathologists; ensuring that all laboratory processes comply with CAP guidelines and CLIA regulations, and that a thorough interim self-inspection is performed with all deficiencies corrected in a timely manner.
• Provides confirmation and resolution of technical problems and ensures that remedial actions are taken and documented; ensuring that patient results are not reported until corrective actions are taken and test systems are functioning properly.
• Reviews all quality assurance data/documentation and daily results; and prepares monthly, quarterly, and/or annual reports.
• Assists the Director of Diagnostic Services in ensuring the implementation of a safe laboratory environment in compliance with good practice, OSHA, national, state, and local regulations, as well as other applicable safety regulations.
• Utilizes required computer programs, software, and laboratory information systems; ensuring patient confidentiality is maintained in compliance with HIPAA at all times.
Bachelor's degree in a chemical, physical, biological or clinical laboratory science/medical technology with at least 4 years of supervisory experience/training in high complexity laboratory.
Certification as a Clinical/Medical Laboratory Scientist or Medical Technologist (CLS, MLS, or MT) or Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) by a nationally recognized board/agency is required.
Leadership experience preferred.
Master's Degree in medical laboratory science, or related science is preferred.