McKim & Creed
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at McKim & Creed
Please note: This position is open in Wilmington & Raleigh, NC to communicate the flexibility in work location. Only one person will be hired for these openings.
What if you had the opportunity to do something you love and make a difference in people’s lives at the same time? McKim & Creed is a company of People Helping People. And that’s what gets us energized. That’s why we’re excited to get up and go to work every day.
McKim & Creed is a unique, employee-owned firm with a reputation for extraordinary state-of-the-art engineering and surveying services provided by exceptional employees. We have nearly 600 employees in offices in North Carolina, Florida, Virginia, Georgia, Texas, and Pennsylvania. If you want to work at a company where you can make a difference on day-one, we’re glad you found McKim & Creed.
- Provide leadership and direction to the payroll department. Responsible for recruitment, development and retention of the payroll team.
- Work with the current Payroll Manager to determine roles and responsibilities of the payroll team members.
- Full-charge payroll processing and related tax filing compliance for a multi-state fast-growing engineering and surveying company.
- Establish and manage payroll service provider filing processes for federal, state and local and retirement plan, other benefits returns and deposits in compliance with statutory deadlines.
- Partner with internal and external auditors regarding payroll related activities.
- Research audit requests and collaborate with tax and retirement plan management to ensure prompt and accurate responses to the IRS and other regulatory agencies regarding federal, state and local returns and annual financial audits.
- Reporting, auditing, and performing compliance duties, including reviewing discrepancy reports between the systems to identify and resolve issues immediately and maintenance of sound internal controls.
- Work with F&A and HR managers to create solutions which resolve any resulting audit and/or compliance issues.
- Research and compliance with any new state and local tax filing and withholding requirements for new jurisdictions.
- Oversee and review reconciliations of payroll and other accounts as required and all GL activities related to net pay, accrued payroll, payroll taxes and employee benefits contributions.
- Partner effectively with HR, IT, Accounting and other functions to ensure appropriate flow of data for reporting and ensure proper calculation and payments.
- Accountable for the integrity and proper functioning of all payroll related functions and systems including testing of software upgrades, testing of new procedures and conversions.
- Reviews payroll deductions, interprets company policies and government regulations in connection with payroll procedures, and directs preparation of reports.
- Processes, calculates and reconciles payouts of special compensation and stockholder programs.
- Provides acquisition due diligence and integration support.
- Other duties as assigned per needs of the business.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or other business discipline preferred.
- 8 or more years of experience with payroll processing; 3 years in a team leadership role.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) a plus but not required.
- Experience with payroll processing vendor required, ADP preferred.
- Knowledge of electronic timesheet systems (BST experience preferred) and integrated HCM and ERP systems a plus.
- Full knowledge and understanding of federal, state and local tax laws and regulations with regards to withholding law, garnishments, general ledger, payroll taxes, benefit deductions and disbursement.
- Ability and comfort working in a fast pace and rapidly growing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to coach and develop others.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality; strong knowledge of data privacy and cyber security.
- Demonstrated high-level decision-making and critical thinking skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Written and verbal communication skills appropriate to communicating with leadership, payroll team members and all employees.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and pass a drug test and a motor vehicle record, criminal background and credit check.
McKim & Creed is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and VEVRAA Federal Contractor and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability status and maintains a Drug Free Workplace.