North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
- Description of Work
***THIS IS A REPOST. PREVIOUS APPLICANTS DO NOT NEED TO REAPPLY TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS VACANCY***
Position is located a Pamlico Correctional Institution, a medium security prison housing adult male offenders. Position is skilled work in rendering technical assistance to the dentist. Patient care duties are usually performed in the physical presence of a dentist and other procedures are performed using established protocols and office routine. Chair side and non-chair side duties include most or all of the following: inventories, receives, checks, and stocks supplies and equipment; cleans and sterilizes instruments; keeps instruments and equipment in operable condition: prepares and arranges instrument trays (some sterile trays) for clinic use; explains procedures and provides support to patients; passes instruments to the dentist during dental procedures; mixes impression and filling material; operates oral evacuation equipment, retractors, and water and air sprays; monitors the patient's behavior and vital signs upon request from the doctor; completes patient's records for operative procedures, charges, and reappointments; clears and cleans the operatory and instruments; takes routine x-rays and photographs such as bite wings; processes and mounts film; instructs patient in basic oral hygiene; may maintain records and recall system, answer phone, type some records or correspondence.
Click HERE for State Benefits
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
Listed below are the knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) associated with the position. These KSAs, along with the minimum education and experience listed, are required in order to be deemed "eligible" for the position therefore you must provide supporting information, within the body of your application, to demonstrate your possession of each KSA listed.
Qualified applicants must possess, and application must clearly reflect work experience that demonstrates the following:
- Documented experience in the utilization of protocols related to dentistry care, i.e. sterilization, instrument tray preparation, triage, patient education, patient protection devices, and desensitization.
- Documented experience with dental office business procedures and ability to follow instructions.
- Documented experience in maintaining records, inventories, and patient histories.
- Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Completion of a dental assistant program from an appropriately accredited institution and one year of on-the-job training as a dental assistant and required x-ray training when needed; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Supplemental and Contact Information
The N.C. Department of Public Safety (DPS) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages qualified men and women to apply. DPS uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection Plan to fill positions subject to the State Personnel Act with the most qualified individuals. Hiring salary will be based on relevant qualifications, internal equity and budgetary considerations pertinent to the advertised position.
- Online applications are only accepted through http://www.oshr.nc.gov/jobs/
- Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the state application. Embedded or attached resumes ARE NOT accepted as a substitution for a completed application. "See Attached Resume", etc. will result in an incomplete application.
- To receive credit for all of your work history and credentials, you must list the information on the State of North Carolina application in the Education and Work Experience sections of the applications form. Any information omitted cannot be considered for qualifying credit.
- Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
- Applicants seeking Veteran's Preference must attach a DD form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, along with your application.
- During the online application process if additional documentation is required, attach the documentation at the bottom of Step 4 in the application process.
- If applying for a position certified through the North Carolina Department of Justice-Criminal Justice Standards Division, refer to https://ncdoj.gov/law-enforcement-training/criminal-justice/officer-certification-programs/correctional-and-probation-parole-officer-certification/ for specific certification requirements.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone. To check the status of your application, please log in to your account and click "Application Status."
If you are having technical issues logging into your account or applying for a position, please review the Get Help/FAQs information on the website. If you are still experiencing technical issues with your application, please call the NeoGov Help Line at 855-524-5627.