North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Enterprise Network Services Engineer
at North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
- Description of Work
Salary Grade: IT08
Recruitment Range: $74,987.00 - $121,857.00
The Department of Information Technology (DIT) serves as the Technology Center for the State of NC. Services that DIT provides reach a client base of state and local government agencies, as well as schools, colleges and universities. The position supports the Director of Network Engineering and Service Owners in formulating solutions to issues confronting the agencies and institutions of North Carolina State Government.
This key position is responsible for the planning, design, and implementation of enterprise and agency specific networking solutions. This position works with other network and security engineers to expand enterprise solutions and explore new technologies. The engineer assists in the development of detailed designs, technical and financial proposals, statements of work, and implementation plans.
The engineer assists the Service Owners to ensure that Service Life Cycle management of the existing service portfolio is technically sound and designed with the appropriate level of reliability, security, redundancy, and within DIT standards; and ensures that supporting infrastructure has adequate capacity for existing and anticipated demand. The engineer is expected to provide highly technical, in-depth network analysis ranging from packet level to system level analysis and work directly with technology providers in design development and validation of networking technologies that can either reduce cost or provide needed functionality to DIT customers.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
To receive credit for your work experience and credentials, you must document on your application that you possess all of the following:
- Demonstrated experience designing, implementing and supporting technology within a large-scale Enterprise and/or Service Provider Wide Area Network
- Strong knowledge of Enterprise WAN (branch and Internet edge) and Campus wired and wireless LAN best practices
- Hands-on experience with an in-depth understanding of OSPF, BGP, MPLS/VPN routing protocols
- Experience in development of written materials related to formalized design strategies, network blueprints, and executing best practice engineering principles in network builds, integration, testing and packaging of infrastructure solutions
- In-depth understanding of network and application operations and definition within the OSL model including IP, TCP, UDP, and ICMP; along with a strong background in configuration, use and management of Ethernet protocol (IEEE 802.2), VLAN design and management
- Cisco certifications (Route/Switch, Security, Collaboration, & Data Center); DC power certifications and Cabling certifications
- Strong knowledge of the principles and practices of telecommunications network concepts including host to host communications, routing, switching, load balancing, layered data network security, IP telephony and network management
- Demonstrated experience in communicating technical terms and concepts to non-technical staff, and all levels of management across division agencies.
- Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, telecommunications engineering or a closely related field from an appropriately accredited institution and three years of experience in electronics engineering including experience in telecommunications engineering;
or Bachelor's degree from an appropriately accredited institution and four years of networking related experience such as network design, analysis or network management;
or Associate's degree in Electronics or Networking Technology from an appropriately accredited institution and four years of networking related experience;
or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Supplemental and Contact Information
To apply for this position, please click the "Apply" link above (on the Government Jobs website) or visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/Applications/Index/northcarolina to complete an on-line application.
The Department of Information Technology will not accept "See Resume" or inserted text resumes in lieu of all work experience and education completed on the application.
Applicants applying for positions that require specific coursework, must upload and attach a copy of the transcript with their application.
Applicants seeking Veteran's Preference must answer "Yes" to the appropriate questions on the application regarding Veteran status and upload and attach a DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty with their application.
Employment at DIT is contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
DIT is an Equal Opportunity and Merit-Based Employer.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone. To check the status of your application, please log into your account. You will either receive a call to schedule an interview or an email notifying you when the job has been filled.
For technical issues with your Neogov account, contact Neogov Helpline at 855-524-5627.
NC DIT Human Resources
Phone No. 919-754-6324
Fax No. 919-981-5051