North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
HVAC Mechanic II
at North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
- Description of Work
- This is a repost. Previous applicants are still being considered and do not need to reapply.
"This position is designated Mandatory and must report or stay over during adverse weather events."
The HVAC Mechanic II will provide technical work in the analysis, troubleshooting and repair of more complex heating, ventilation, and air conditioning equipment or systems. Position will work under the general supervision of an air conditioning supervisor and is reviewed through the proper operation of equipment and the effectiveness of repairs. Job responsibilities will include:
- Independently troubleshoot heating, ventilation, or air conditioning problems, recommend parts needed and correct problems.
- Reviews the heating or cooling requirements of existing buildings, compare these requirements to existing heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems, and recommend modifications to achieve better system effectiveness and efficiency.
- Serves as technical expert in one or more areas of the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning field such as absorption and centrifugal chillers or electrical, pneumatic, and electronic controls, through advising other mechanics on repair problems and providing on the job training in their areas of expertise.
Salary Grade: GN10
Recruitment Range: $39,611.00 - $54,486.00
Work Hours: Monday - Thursday, 7:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Work Location: Maintenance/HVAC Shop
About the Department of Health and Human Services / Caswell Developmental Center:
The NC Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) is one of the largest, most complex agencies in the state, with approximately 18,000 employees. In collaboration with its partners, it is responsible for ensuring the health, safety and well-being of all North Carolinians.
Caswell Developmental Center, serving as North Carolina's Eastern Region resource center, provides specialized residential, programmatic, and support services for individuals with developmental disabilities. The individuals we serve are at the heart of our facility. Our team is critical to the mission of the facility. We strive to create an environment in which every team member contributes to the overall success of the Center to positively impact the lives of those around them and the individuals we service. If you are looking to make a difference and seeking a rewarding career, we encourage you to consider this opportunity. Please click on the following link https://vimeo.com/185000006 to experience how Caring is Contagious at Caswell Developmental Center.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
To receive credit for all of your work history and credentials, you must list the information on the application form. Any information listed under the text resume section or on an attachment will not be considered for qualifying credit. Qualified candidates must document on the application that they clearly possess all of the following:
- Working knowledge of operating (BAU) building automation systems.
- Working knowledge of troubleshooting (DDC) Direct Digital Controls.
- Considerable knowledge of the design and operation of centrifugal and reciprocal compressors.
- Considerable knowledge of the practices, methods, materials, and equipment used in the maintenance and repair of air conditioning and refrigeration equipment.
- Basic knowledge of electricity sufficient to troubleshoot and repair complex electrical control circuits.
- Working knowledge of refrigeration theory.
- Ability to diagnose equipment malfunctions and prescribe repair procedures.
- Ability to train workers.
- Ability to analyze building and air-conditioning equipment and recommend modifications to achieve better operation or energy savings.
- Ability to lift 90 lbs in a safe manner.
- Ability to work on a ladder and pas the required physical to wear a negative pressure respirator.
- Physically able to work in hot and cold environments and confined spaces.
- Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
High school or General Educational Development (GED) diploma and four years of progressive experience in the installation, maintenance or repair of air conditioning chillers, air handling, chilled water distribution and control systems including one year at the journey level; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Necessary Special Qualifications Requires current certification by the Environmental Protection Agency as a Type I, II, III or Universal technician as required by Title 40, Code of Federal Regulations part 82, subpart F.
Degrees must be from appropriately accredited colleges or universities.
- Supplemental and Contact Information
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Positions in the Division of State Operated Healthcare Facilities shall be subject to pre-
employment drug testing and criminal record background checks. Also, the use of tobacco products of any kind including vapor products are prohibited from our campuses. All employees are required to adhere to the facility's Vaccination Policy.
The DHHS Division of Human Resources (DHR) follows the State Human Resources Employment of Relatives Policy. Applicants who have relatives or people living in the same household, will not be considered for job vacancies in the DHR at those locations. For a complete definition of immediate family member, please see the State Human Resources Workforce Planning, Recruitment and Selection Policy, Section 2, Page 38.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone. To check the status of your application, please log in to your account. You will either receive a call to schedule an interview or an email notifying you when the job has been filled.
For technical issues with your applications, please call the NEOGOV Help Line at 855-524-5627. Applicants will be communicated with, via email only, for updates on the status of their application. If there are any questions about this posting other than your application status, please contact HR at 919-855-3478.