North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Registered Nurse - Third Shift - Whitaker PRTF
at North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
Pay: $46203 to $78218/year
$46203 - $78218
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2494476
Categories: Healthcare - RNs & Nurse Management
Overall Job Objective
- Description of Work
- Whitaker PRTF
Where Caring is Contagious!
We are currently recruiting for Registered Nurses at Whitaker PRTF. The Registered Nurse provides psychiatric-mental health nursing care; includes but not limited to the diagnosis and treatment of human responses to actual and potential mental and medical problems. Job responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
There are multiple third shift positions available. These are full-time positions and eligible for the full State benefits package including health insurance and retirement. Normal working hours are Monday - Thursday, 11:00 p.m. - 9:30 a.m. with alternating weekends and holidays as scheduled; however, flexibility is required to meet hospital needs. This position is designated as Mandatory and must report or stay over during adverse weather events.
- Assumes the responsibility for planning, implementation, and evaluation of nursing care for 18 residents residing at Whitaker PRTF.
- Communicates and collaborates with various disciplines to ensure the safety of residents by providing the highest standards of care in regards to levels of observation, assessments, medication administration, transportation to medical appointments, monitoring, hand-off communication and documentation.
- Monitoring residents for physical and psychological status, administering medication and evaluation of effectiveness.
- Monitors and documentation of seclusion and restraints.
- Provides on-going resident education regarding health, self-care, socialization skills and medication utilization.
- Represents nursing on the treatment team providing input from other nurses to the treatment team member and by relaying treatment team decisions and rationales for treatment to nursing.
Salary Grade: GN12
Recruitment Range: $46,203.00 - $71,250.00
About the Department of Health and Human Services / Whitaker:
The NC Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) is one of the largest, most complex agencies in the state, with approximately 18,000 employees. In collaboration with its partners, it is responsible for ensuring the health, safety and well-being of all North Carolinians.
Whitaker employs a re-education model which prepares the adolescents to successfully return to the community. Whitaker is an 18 bed secure residential treatment facility that provides 24 hour nursing care which is operated by the Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disorders and Substance Abuse Services. As part of the Child and Family Services Section, it provides residential care, supervision and educational services for residents with complex behavioral, emotional, psychological and neurological disorders. It also provides community liaison support services for residents and families with a staffing complement of approximately 70 full-time clinical, educational, residential and support positions. This school serves the entire state.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
- To receive credit for all of your work history and credentials, you must list the information on the application form. Any information listed under the text resume section or on an attachment will not be considered for qualifying credit. Qualified candidates must document on the application that they clearly possess all of the following:
Physical requirements will be discussed during the interview process but include ability to lift 50 pounds or more in order to perform resident care. Employee must be able to subdue aggressive, combative residents using the approved NVCI/APT techniques. Employee must be able to push, pull or physically hold residents. Employee must be able to walk for extended periods of time and able to ambulate up and down stairs frequently to provide needed care to residents. Employee must be able to perform CPR crouching on knees, using hands and arms to do compressions or use of respiratory systems to breathe for victim. Employee may have to assist residents in ambulation, push wheelchairs, roll and lift stretchers, and move residents from one object to another.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form with patients, families and multidisciplinary team members.
- Must be able to read, write and speak English.
- Ability to maintain professional demeanor at all times.
- Ability to utilize critical decision-making skills in crisis and maintain a safe milieu for patients.
- Ability to delegate and supervise patient care delivery by other nursing and health care staff when performing in the charge nurse role.
- Ability to follow direction by management and Whitaker policy, apply changes to policy and ensure YPEA's and other RN's are following those policies.
- Ability to complete nursing care clinical competencies.
- Must be able to pass NCVI/APT and CPR upon hiring.
- Must possess valid N.C. driver's license.
Management prefers nursing experience in a psychiatric hospital or other psychiatric setting with adolescents but will train.
- Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of North Carolina.
Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited colleges or universities.
- Supplemental and Contact Information
- The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Positions in the Division of State Operated Healthcare Facilities shall be subject to pre-employment drug testing and criminal record background checks. Also, the use of tobacco products of any kind including vapor products are prohibited from our campuses. All employees are required to adhere to the facility's Vaccination Policy.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone. To check the status of your application, please log in to your account. You will either receive a call to schedule an interview or an email notifying you when the job has been filled.
For technical issues with your application, please call the NeoGov Help Line at 855-524-5627. Applicants will be communicated with via email only for updates on the status of their application. If there are any questions about this posting other than your application status, please contact HR at 919-764-7200.