North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
- Description of Work
- **This is a repost; previous applicants do not need to reapply and are still being considered for this position.**
This Independent Living Rehabilitation Counselor position is located in Hickory. The primary purpose of the Independent Living Rehabilitation Program is to serve eligible persons with severe disabilities with a priority to serve non –vocational rehabilitation needs of clients in order to:
- Deinstitutionalize those when possible or prevent the institutionalization of individuals who are at risk of same
- Improve a client's functioning in the home and community
- When possible, to assist clients in transitioning into the general Vocational Rehabilitation program for services leading to employment
Job responsibilities include the following:
Selected applicant needs to have the means to travel as the job requires.
- Design and implementation of a comprehensive plan of rehabilitation services for disabled persons served by the Independent Living Rehab Program
- Evaluates diagnostic data to determine eligibility, assess an individual's independent living needs and required services
- Develop a written plan of services in conjunction with the client, and provide services in the context of a guidance and counseling relationship
- Provide supportive counseling and coordination of needed services and document service delivery as required in policy in the case management system
*In order to be considered for this position you must attach a copy of your transcripts.*
Salary Grade: GN10
Recruitment Range: $34,158– $63,378
If no suitable candidates are found at the Rehabilitation Counselor level, this position will be filled as a Rehabilitation Counselor Trainee. Salary for Rehabilitation Counselor Trainee is $34,158. Duties and responsibilities as a Rehabilitation Counselor Trainee are non-independent and are supervised by the Unit Manager or designee. If applying as Rehabilitation Counselor Trainee, candidate will be required to attain a Master's degree in Rehabilitation Counseling.
The DHHS Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services (DVRS) promotes employment and independence for persons with disabilities through customer partnership and community leadership.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
To receive credit for all of your work history and credentials, you must list the information on the
application form. Any information listed under the text resume section or on an attachment will
not be considered for qualifying credit. Qualified candidates must document on the application
that they possess all of the following:
Please refer to the link below for additional information
If your Master's degree is in a field other than Rehabilitation Counseling, your application must explicitly demonstrate that you possess the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities listed below:
- In-depth knowledge of casework methodology and techniques of rehabilitation counseling
- Considerable knowledge of federal and state laws governing the delivery of rehabilitation or independent living services
- Demonstrated ability to interpret medical and psychological data in planning and developing rehabilitative services
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with consumers, family members, and various professional and specialty services involved in the rehabilitation process
- Ability to network and communicate effectively with area service providers and community agencies through excellent verbal and written skills
- Demonstrated ability to establish professional relationships with and work effectively with individuals with disabilities
- Good interpersonal skills and experience with counseling adults
- Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Master's degree in rehabilitation counseling from an appropriately accredited institution;
A master's degree in a related human services field from an appropriately accredited institution;
Current certification as a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor by the Commission of Rehabilitation Counselor Certification.
Rehabilitation Counselor Trainee: Graduation from a four-year college or university with a four-year degree in a related human service field as defined above.
- Supplemental and Contact Information
In collaboration with our partners, the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services provides essential services to improve the health, safety and well-being of all North Carolinians.
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The DHHS Division of Human Resources (DHR) follows the State Human Resources Employment of Relatives Policy.
Applicants who have relatives or people living in the same household, will not be considered for job vacancies in the DHR at those locations. For a complete definition of immediate family member, please see the State Human Resources Workforce Planning, Recruitment and Selection Policy, Section 2, Page 38.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone. To check the status of your application, please log in to your account. You will either receive a call to schedule an interview or an email notifying you when the job has been filled.
For technical issues with your application, please call the NeoGov Help Line at
855-524-5627. Applicants will be communicated with via email only for updates on the status of their application. If there are any questions about this posting other than your application status, please contact HR at 919-855-3517.