Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
People Relations Leave Specialist
at Red Hat
- Job ID
- Human Resources
At Red Hat, we connect an innovative community of customers, partners, and contributors to deliver an open source stack of trusted, high-performing solutions. We offer cloud, Linux, middleware, storage, and virtualization technologies, together with award-winning global customer support, consulting, and implementation services. Red Hat is a rapidly growing company supporting more than 90% of Fortune 500 companies.
The Red Hat People (HR) team is looking for a People Relations Leave Specialist to join us in Raleigh, NC. In this role, you will offer support and guidance to Red Hatters based in the U.S. and Canada who find that they need disability and other statutorily-mandated time away from work. To facilitate a positive experience for impacted associates, you will be responsible for understanding the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Family and Medical Leave Act
(FMLA) and other state or federal requirements around time away from work, while managing the relationship with each associate requesting time away, from the date of the request to the eventual return-to-work date. This includes processing leaves, reviewing medical certifications, educating managers on process and best practice, and engaging with external vendor partners where appropriate. As a People Relations Leave Specialist, you must exercise a high level of judgment and critical thinking in decision making, and be well-versed on the ADA, FMLA, and applicable state leave laws, as well as customer-specific processing requirements. Effectively managing the partnership with other business areas, including benefits, payroll, shared services, compliance, our vendors, etc. is also important to the success of this position.
Primary job responsibilities
- Partner with a shared services benefits operations coordinator for the ongoing processing and tracking of all leave of absence and accommodation requests, including FMLA, ADA, and various state leave laws, and with the benefits team on the short-term disability, long-term disability, and other income replacement forms to deliver against program objectives and requirements
- Serve as a main escalation point of contact for our associates, managers, or people (HR) infrastructure team for any disability-related leaves of absence or accommodation inquiries and requests
- Work on your own to provide exemplary support to managers and associates and deliver against Red Hat employee relations processes, programs, and policies; track and document all aspects in the case management tool and escalate cases to the Employee Relations Team Lead as appropriate
- Assist in administering North America leave of absence (LOA) programs by communicating process and requirements to associates, providing timely follow-up on questions and complex issues
- Provide thorough, accurate, and effective guidance and coaching for managers and associates and ensure they are aware of all company resources available to them
- Interpret and monitor compliance with policies and procedures and make recommendations on areas of potential risk mitigation
- Generate and communicate leave or accommodation notifications and instructions to managers, providing regular updates and reporting to the business
- Communicate with outsourced provider companies, as required, regarding pending claims and leave administration for disability-related leaves
- Maintain a high level of working knowledge of current U.S. and Canadian regulatory requirements relating to leaves of absence and accommodations
- Propose best practices to educate and enable people managers on Red Hat’s leave of absence programs and their various responsibilities
- Demonstrate sensitivity, professionalism, and discretion in all aspects of your responsibilities
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, from an accredited educational institution
- 5+ years of employee relations or leave of absence administration experience in a fast-paced environment
- Advanced knowledge of leave laws within the U.S.; knowledge of Canadian laws is a plus
- Working knowledge of HR database systems, excellent computer and analytical skills; experience with Workday is a plus
- Demonstrated high level of professionalism, discretion, and confidentiality
- Solid interpersonal skills with the ability to quickly build trusting relationships in a customer-centric environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Results-focused with the ability to take initiative and be proactive, resulting in accuracy and timeliness of work
- Ability to adapt and thrive in an ever-changing environment
Red Hat is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Red Hat does not seek or accept unsolicited resumes or CVs from recruitment agencies. We are not responsible for, and will not pay, any fees, commissions, or any other payment related to unsolicited resumes or CVs except as required in a written contract between Red Hat and the recruitment agency or party requesting payment of a fee.