Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Red Hat
- Job ID
- Systems Engineering
At Red Hat, we connect an innovative community of customers, partners, and contributors to deliver an open source stack of trusted, high-performing solutions. We offer cloud, Linux, middleware, storage, and virtualization technologies, together with award-winning global customer support, consulting, and implementation services. Red Hat is a rapidly growing company supporting more than 90% of Fortune 500 companies.
The Red Hat DevOps team is looking for a System Administrator who likes fast-paced, changing environments and using a variety of hardware platforms and architectures to join our global team in Raleigh, NC. In this role, you will work as part as part of the Open Innovation Labs (Labs) team to ensure the availability of critical services in many languages, using some of the best tools and procedures in the market. You’ll work in a dynamic environment, focusing on maintaining the systems and services the Products and Technologies (PnT) Labs team provides. This is an opportunity to work with a successful global Labs team to help architect, deploy, and support the applications and lab infrastructure that allows our Engineering team to produce outstanding open source software. As a System Administrator, you’ll need to have experience managing Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) systems, initiative, and a passion for technology, while the Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) certification is a plus. You will also need to have outstanding troubleshooting skills and be motivated to deliver exceptional results with minimal oversight.
Primary job responsibilities
- Serve as a point of contact for stakeholders to set priorities
- Integrate hardware into test infrastructure and maintain it
- Purchase equipment used for testing and development
- Maintain and deploy essential lab infrastructure
- Conduct technical training sessions for junior associates
- Coordinate with management on projects and lab expansions
- 2-3 years of Unix or Linux system administration experience; RHCE certification is a big plus
- Linux operating system installation, configuration, upgrades, and maintenance experience
- Networking technology knowledge at the physical (twisted pair, fiber optic) and logical (Ethernet, TCP/IP) level, including various supporting services and protocols (DNS, DHCP, LDAP, Kerberos, etc.)
- Familiarity with various types of industry hardware (Intel 64, AMD64, EM64T, IA64, S390 and S390x, PowerPC, etc.)
- Good judgment and negotiation skills; ability to find successful resolutions for complex issues, escalating those that require management involvement, when necessary
- Administration experience with other OSs like Solaris, Windows, AIX, or HP-UX
- Experience managing applications and systems written in Perl, Python, Ruby, and PHP
- Ability to write scripts (shell, Python, or Perl)
- Experience with configuration management tools like CFEngine and Puppet, including configuration of Ethernet and storage switching
- Experience using Cisco (IOS, CatOS, SANOS, NX-OS), Brocade, and qLogic
- Experience using storage technologies (NetApp, IBM DS, EMC); netapp and EMC experience is required, while EqualLogic or HP storage is a plus
- Close familiarity with SAN best practices
- End-to-end experience with storage technologies
- Understanding of virtualization (Xen or KVM, Red Hat Virtualization, VMware, etc.)
- Ability to quickly achieve a deep understanding of complex applications
- Experience using RPM and yum for software deployment
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision
- Ability to read and interpret technical documents in English
- Ability to speak business-level English
- Ability to move and install computer systems and monitors weighing approximately 50 pounds (23 kg); reasonable accommodations may be made to enable associates with disabilities to perform essential functions
- Understanding of other languages like C, C++, or Java is a plus
Red Hat is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, uniformed services, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Red Hat does not seek or accept unsolicited resumes or CVs from recruitment agencies. We are not responsible for, and will not pay, any fees, commissions, or any other payment related to unsolicited resumes or CVs except as required in a written contract between Red Hat and the recruitment agency or party requesting payment of a fee.