SAS Institute Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Open Source Developer
at SAS Institute Inc.
- Requisition ID
- Job Category
- Research and Development
- Hiring Manager
- Glenn Clingroth
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Not Offered
- Tom Polak
Open Source Developer
Are you a problem solver, explorer, and knowledge seeker – always asking, “What if?”
If so, you may be the new team member we’re looking for. Because at SAS, your curiosity matters – whether you’re developing algorithms, creating customer experiences, or answering critical questions. Curiosity is our code, and the opportunities here are endless.
What we do
We’re the leader in analytics. Through our software and services, we inspire customers around the world to transform data into intelligence. Our curiosity fuels innovation, pushing boundaries, challenging the status quo and changing the way we live.
What you’ll do
As an Open Source Developer and member of the Enterprise Decision Management R&D team, you will be building leading edge software that manages and deploys SAS’s market leading data science models and open source models for mission critical business applications. The software is sold to medium and large enterprises and deployed into both offline and online operational systems. You will work with the product team of developers, usability designers, project managers, and product managers in an agile process to meet product requirements. You will write code in Python, R, SAS, and similar languages, and will user your knowledge of system and machine learning packages to develop integration software and support internal and external users. You will develop source code for our applications, test code for your team, document and sample code for end users. You will post code/application and technical papers to Git for public distribution. You will research new commercial and open source toolkits as needed.
- Analyze, design, and implement software source code for HTML5 based User Interfaces, REST APIs (Java), open source tools, and cloud services.
- Actively solicit the involvement of other developers and subject matter experts to ensure integrity, efficiency, and supportability of applications.
- Follow all production change management procedures related to the application being modified or created.
- Perform appropriate and thorough testing on all code changes. Implement automated unit tests using popular unit testing frameworks.
- Maintain technical documentation, help review and edit product documentation.
- Regularly communicate work progress with management, identifying issues early and resolving them quickly to avoid or minimize impact to the project.
- Anticipate time needed to complete projects and assist in project estimates/scheduling.
- Update job knowledge by independent and structured research.
What we’re looking for
- You’re curious, passionate, authentic, and accountable. These are our values and influence everything we do.
- You have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related quantitative field.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Statistics or related quantitative field.
- Experience with Linux operating system, commands, and shell programming tools.
- Strong Python proficiency and working experience with SciKit.
- Experience with a machine learning or artificial intelligence toolkit such as Xgboost, Tensorflow, H20.
The nice to haves
- Master’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Statistics, or related field.
- SAS language programming experience.
- Familiarity using REST API services.
- Working knowledge of R language for data transformations and statistical model building.
- Familiarity with usage and programming for cloud platforms such as AWS, Google Cloud, and Azure.
- Experience with Docker containers and/or Kubernetes.
Other knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Professional software development experience.
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies.
- We love living the #SASlife and believe that happy, healthy people have a passion for life, and bring that energy to work. No matter what your specialty or where you are in the world, your unique contributions will make a difference.
- Our multi-dimensional culture blends our different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Here, it isn’t about fitting into our culture, it’s about adding to it - and we can’t wait to see what you’ll bring.
SAS looks not only for the right skills, but also a fit to our core values. We seek colleagues who will contribute to the unique values that makes SAS such a great place to work. We look for the total candidate: technical skills, values fit, relationship skills, problem solvers, good communicators and, of course, innovators. Candidates must be ready to make an impact.
To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status. SAS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Read more: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law. Also view the supplement EEO is the Law, and the notice Pay Transparency
Equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered in place of the above qualifications. The level of this position will be determined based on the applicant's education, skills and experience. Resumes may be considered in the order they are received. SAS employees performing certain job functions may require access to technology or software subject to export or import regulations. To comply with these regulations, SAS may obtain nationality or citizenship information from applicants for employment. SAS collects this information solely for trade law compliance purposes and does not use it to discriminate unfairly in the hiring process.