Southland Industries Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Safety Coordinator I
at Southland Industries Inc.
We Drive Innovation and Build Careers
As a company that prides itself on innovation and collaboration, Southland Industries continues to pave the way as an industry leader in constructability, sustainability and energy efficiency so as to improve the way buildings are designed, built, and operated.
Founded in 1949, Southland Industries is one of the nation’s largest MEP building systems experts. We provide innovative yet practical solutions through a holistic approach to building construction and performance. Through our extensive resources, we are able to optimize each stage of the building lifecycle through customized engineering, construction, building automation, service and energy solutions.
The Safety Coordinator, I assists the Division Safety Leader by ensuring that Southland Industries meets all safety requirements in the field and all facilities by managing and coordinating all safety activities on major jobsites (>150 personnel) or multiple jobsites.
What you'll do:
- Support and promote general safety policies and procedures to be followed by company or field personnel in compliance with local, state, and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) rules and regulations.
- Tour and inspect job sites to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, and report to the safety manager and superintendents recommendations or corrective or preventative measures where indicated.
- Work with outside contractors, on job sites, as directed by the safety manager, in continually assessing organization processes addressing safety issues.
- Maintain knowledge of company's policies and procedures enforcing and supporting them to all co-workers.
- Work on a job site to ensure safety of our crews while planning and executing the site safety requirements.
- Maintain all site required documentation related to safety issues, i.e. accident reports, inspection reports, training logs.
- Review daily job hazard analyses.
- Assist employees in providing emergency response, as needed.
- Strive for continued growth of your professional knowledge and skills to contribute to the team dynamic.
- Assume additional assignments/tasks as needed.
- Assist to devise and coordinate training programs or media which will increase proficiency in safe practices and promote safety consciousness including working with the safety manager to complete new employee safety training.
- Participate in the investigation of accidents and injuries compiling information in preparation of material and evidence for organization use.
- Help compile and submit accident reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Conduct safety meetings and provide on-site safety training.
- Maintain excellent field presence to monitor safety performance.
- Recognize hazardous situations and implement corrective procedures.
What you'll need to be successful:
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety, Health, and Environmental Applied Sciences or a related discipline, preferred.
- 1-3 years’ experience in a related field.
- Certifications in CPR and First Aid, preferred.
- OSHA 10hr, OSHA 30hr, OSHA 40hr training, preferred.
- OSHA 500 certification, preferred.
- Must have effective people skills, basic communication skills, considerable problem solving skills, and moderate functional knowledge.
- Have a strong work ethic and the ability to think critically.
- Strong computer skills; must have experience in Microsoft Office and ability to access OSHA information via the internet.
- Knowledge of health and safety management systems.
- Working knowledge of OSHA CFR 1926 standards or the state construction safety regulations.
- Able to perform onsite jobsite inspections.
- Work with project personnel in a professional and mature manner in order to maintain the integrity of the company and relationships formed therein.
- Perform all functions and responsibilities in partnership with the company's culture, corporate vision, ethics and code of conduct
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is required to sit 2/3rds of the time; use hands to finger 2/3rds of the time; walk 1/3rd of the time; stand 1/3rd of the time; reach with hands and arms 2/3rds of the time; stoop, kneel, crouch 1/3rd of the time; talk or hear 2/3rds of the time.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Southland Industries understands that people are key to our success as a company. The people who work for us, the people we serve, and the people who live and work in the buildings we design and build.
If you’re someone with a true passion for our industry, we’re looking for you! At Southland, we seek people that don’t just follow a career path, but blaze their own. People who want to apply innovation to their problem solving and embrace the concept of full collaboration between disciplines work at Southland. We appreciate the spirit of integrity and entrepreneurialism with which our people act, and have learned that the more opportunity we allow our employees, the greater the results. Each part of our business is interconnected and requires input from others, which has led to the collaborative setting from which we thrive.
We believe in building careers and supporting our people with what they need to grow and flourish. And we thrive on creating a strong company and culture where you’ll feel supported, challenged and valued.
As we move our company forward and serve our customers, we know it’s essential to have the best people working for us. In fact, our best people don’t just fit our culture, they inspire it! Don’t be afraid to jump in, roll up your sleeves and get excited about making a difference at Southland.
We’ll notice it.
If you’re ready for the next big step in your career and want the fast pace and excitement of a growing company, we want you now. Join our team and become a part of an organization that values work-life balance, community, and exceptional quality of work.
As an employee-owned company, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes excellent benefits for you and your family:
- 401(k) Plan with 50% Company Match (no cap) and immediate 100% vesting
- Annual bonus program based upon performance, profitability, and achievement
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Term Life, AD&D Insurance, and Voluntary Life Insurance
- Disability Income Protection Insurance
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending Plans (Health and Dependent Care)
- Holidays/Vacation/Personal Time/Life Events Leave
- Numerous training opportunities and company paid membership for professional associations and licenses
To hear what our employees are saying about working at Southland Industries, check out our Career Video - Working at Southland
Southland Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing our employees with a safe work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Southland Industries are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, family care or medical leave status, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Southland Industries will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
**All employment offers are contingent upon successful, drug test, background check and professional reference checks.**
*At this time we are unable to offer employment sponsorship*
If you don’t feel this position is match for you, we encourage you to share it with others. Feel free to share throughout your social networks and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram to keep up to date on what we’re doing as a company.